Chapter One

Chapter One

I woke with a start.

My eyes flew open and at first, nothing was visible through a blanket of blurriness on my vision. I shut my eyes again and moaned, because my body felt stiff and heavy. I couldn't lift my arm to wipe my eyes, so the only thing I was left doing was blinking until my vision cleared and I found myself staring up at some kind of ceiling with gold accents and a huge diamond chandelier.

The fuck?

Confused, I kept staring at it as I tried to figure out what the fuck had happened.

The last thing I remembered was... what? A tree? Yeah, something about being in a tree.

Why the fuck was I in a fucking tree?

But this didn't look like a tree, so where the fuck was I?

I blinked a few more times, cleared my vision and turned my head to see I was hooked up to some kind of machine... machines. Plural. There was more than one. They looked almost like the ones in the medical wing, except... I wasn't in a compound. That couldn't be right. The room looked lavish and wealthy while the compound was more sedate and clinical.

This place was fancy pants central.

I tried to sit up, but my body refused to cooperate, so I was left slumping back down among the blankets and pillows. And don't get me wrong; I was fucking comfortable. The blanket on me was heated and I could feel its warmth through the other layers of blankets piled on me. Every ounce of me just wanted to sink back down and sleep, except there was no way I was going to fucking sleep in a strange place.

I closed my eyes for a moment to gather up some strength, and forced myself to sit up. My stomach surged forward and I groaned, leaning over the side of the bed to gag. Nothing was in my stomach, so nothing, but foam spilled out onto the floor. I grimaced before dragging myself to the other side of the bed. I pulled and unplugged the machines from myself, a couple of them making some noise. I swung my legs over the side of the bed and gripped the bedpost for support as I pulled myself up onto my feet. My legs wobbled and I felt my knees give out from under me. I slid down the bedpost onto my knees on the floor, cursing the entire time.

Gods, my legs felt like jello. They wouldn't cooperate with me, wouldn't take me to the machines to shut off that incessant beeping. I crawled across the floor and hit the side of one of the machines until I noticed a cord plugged into the wall. I snatched the cord out and the beeping stopped. Relieved, I used the machine as support as I pulled myself up onto my feet once more. This time, my knees locked and I stayed standing. Thank fuck.

I looked around the room now to see if I could figure out where I was, but no such luck. The place was heavily decorated, obnoxiously so, with flower vases and old paintings and gold all over the ceiling and walls, satin drapes hanging from the ceiling to the floor. A set of paned doors opened up to what looked like a balcony.

I looked around and found another door and decided to give it a shot. I used the bed to move along in case my legs gave out again. I hobbled over to the door and popped it open, but inside was just a ridiculously huge, overly decorated bathroom with some kind of huge pool instead of a bathtub. I turned away from the bathroom and spotted another set of doors, so I wandered over and popped those open, only to find myself looking into... another room? No, there were empty racks, empty shelves... a fucking closet?

Who's closet was this big? Why the fuck was this even necessary?

I turned to head back into the room, only to hear a door open and close in the room. I immediately ducked back into the closet and sort of closed the door so I could peer out and see who it was.