Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

I'd had many people beg me in my lifetime.

Most of them begged for a swift and quiet death. Some of them begged for their lives to be spared.

But only a couple had ever begged me for the life of another person. As in, to protect someone else.

I'd never followed through with it.

It wasn't my job to judge or to have opinions.

I was hired to do a job. Kill people for the Mother and ask no questions.

But the outside world was so different. You could have your opinions, and yeah, not everyone was going to agree with it, but that's just it.

You can have your own fucking opinions.

And I could make my own fucking decisions too.

Without the Mother.

And without Hades.

"We're getting married whether anyone likes it or not," I said, making Cypress look up at me, "Hades may be a crotchety old dick about it, but in the end, he can't make me do anything. It's my decision to marry River, and that's what I'm going to do." I looked at River, who seemed surprised. It was like he was expecting me to spit on Cypress and walk away from both of them, which made sense I suppose. Clearly they had trust issues, and I understood that.

"Oh, and for the record," I said, making Cypress look up, "Onzo steps foot on this property and I will personally break off all his limbs and make a fucking fuck-you bouquet to leave on your daddy's grave. Nobody threatens me and nobody fucking threatens my husband." Cypress blinked, then immediately rose to his feet. He reached for me without thinking and hauled me up against his chest in what I assumed was some kind of massive bear hug. I grunted when my face planted against his chest and I glanced sideways at River, giving him eyes that asked what the fuck was I supposed to do, but River was just staring at me, like he was caught between confused and impressed.

"Oh, thank you," Cypress breathed, giving me a squeeze before quickly letting go, "I apologize. I know you're not fond of touching, but I am very grateful to you. Knowing that my son is in your capable hands gives me the warm fuzzies." I raised an eyebrow.

"Yup, mmhm, no problem," I responded, feeling awkward and unsure of how to respond to him, so I turned to River, "So, uh, you had something you wanted to tell me about?" River blinked, looking down at the papers in his hands, then frowned and shook his head.

"Ah, nothing. Just logistics that don't matter," he said, making Cypress frown and look at him curiously, "So, do you deem this situation worthy of bringing to Hades?" I scowled.

"Why? Doesn't involve him. It's our problem, not his. I already said; next time Onzo steps foot on the property, he's dead. No ifs, ands, buts, or court dates," I replied. River frowned, glancing at Cypress, who pressed his lips together in a thoughtful line before he inclined his head.

"I will respect whatever decision it is that you make, my prince."

"Good. Then let's start doing some more planning of this wedding ceremony thing," I said, making River give me a droll stare, "What? We didn't have ceremonies where I come from."

"So I've gathered," River answered, then shook his head, "All we can do now is the planning. We went to Inferi and brought the color palettes to our designers and they said they can work with what we've brought to them. Now we should work on invites, any themes or decorations, ah, location would be important." I scowled. Designers? Themes? Invites? Location? What?

"I thought we were going to just get married here," I said, gesturing to the palace. River glanced at it, then looked at Cypress, whose eyes brightened. Gone with the concerned weepy daddy and back with the cheerful dopey Mr. Cypress.