Chapter Twenty-Seven

I woke up abruptly.

Not from a nightmare, for once.

But it was like a black curtain had dropped on the developments of a dream, making my eyes snap open so I was staring up at that gaudy ass ceiling. I tried not to gasp for breath at the suddenness of waking up. I blinked a few times, adjusting to the dim lighting of the room.

For a moment, I was fucking confused.

I sat up slowly to look around the room and found the source of the light. It was from Hades's laptop sitting on the coffee table in the room. Piles of papers and files and scrolls sat around the coffee table and the arm chairs. The big guy himself was laying on the sofa, fast asleep with his long hair sliding out of its ponytail, his face smashed against the pillow and his long legs hanging over the other side.

I stared at Hades asleep on the sofa.

He'd been doing this every night since our outing in town. He packed up all his shit and basically moved into my fucking room. He was in here all the time doing work, and when he wasn't doing that, he was fucking harassing me. He was like a hawk making sure I took my meds, and worse still was that he was trying to get me to read fucking dissertations and shit. He was trying to educate me, as he put it.

That'd be fine, if I didn't have such a hard time reading. The letters always looked the same or jumbled and when I read, it was like listening to an old woman with dementia talking about what she did yesterday. I was too impatient for that shit. When I asked about documentaries, Hades said most of the shit in those videos were half assed pulled together research by phonies. I think he was just saying that so I didn't get into the Apollyon conversation again.

Trying to talk to Hades about things I wanted to talk about was fucking impossible. Every time I mentioned Apollyon or River, Hades would change the subject or tell me I was being a brat. He'd say I wasn't ready for that kind of shit right now and I begged to differ.

Okay. So I had a slight panic attack when I saw that guy at the bar. Big deal.

It's not like I killed him.

Much to my grave disappointment.

And asking Hades about him was also on the list of no-nos. I couldn't say shit about the guy because Hades literally just pretended I didn't say anything. He'd go right on with what he was saying as if I never said anything. Anything I had to say, Hades wasn't interested in.

It was so fucking confusing.

Because for a brief moment there, I thought maybe, just maybe, Hades gave a slight shit about me. After the bar night, Hades had taken me home and settled me into bed. It was such a Lucy thing to do that I almost didn't believe it if Lucy himself hadn't told me Hades had done it.

However, ever since then, Hades may have moved into my room to keep a better eye on me, but it wasn't because he gave a shit or because he cared. It was because he wanted to keep an eye on me because he didn't trust me. Hell, for all I knew, the guy I beat up wasn't even the right guy. Maybe I hallucinated the whole thing and beat up an innocent person, but Hades neither confirmed nor denied it when I asked. It was just not my problem apparently.

Yeah. I got drunk and nearly beat a dude to death, but that's not my problem.

Whatever.

But then Hades turned around and did shit like this, where he fell asleep in my room working. That didn't seem like something someone who didn't give a shit would do, but then he'd turn around and treat me like shit, so I had no idea what was going through that guy's head and I didn't care at this point.