One Of The Men In My Life

A shower later and I still don't feel better. The whole meeting went a little better than expected and I hope he feels humiliated and ashamed.

"Hey Papa." I say, joining him on the couch. "How was your day?"

Papa smiles larger than I'd ever seen come from him. "I met one of the men of my life." He says.

I laugh. "You met Thomas Müller."

Papa just keeps the goofy grin on his face. "Look, you're on the news." He notices. He turns up the volume and we both turn our attention to it.

"For the first woman on a professional male Bundesliga team, Bella Freud is the best choice. I can't imagine anyone else taking this title. She's worked her way up to the highest she can possibly get."

"Yes, Marsha. I agree. The Munich born and raised 22 year old has gone out of the way to prove that she belongs there. She certainly plays in an unusual way. Let's watch this montage of her best scored goals."

The two newscasters then switch to a screen of me. All of the most extreme goals I've scored play with some funky music. A lot of them were purely luck, and several were practiced with my old coach at previous practices.

One extremely crazy one plays and Papa laughs. "That ones my favorite!"

It ends and switches back to the newscasters.

"It's just amazing, Tom. Someone so young and unexpected has caught the attention of the world. It seems like Americans are even excited to watch a game she plays. Her speed and footwork are so well known that they are naming some of those crazy runs after her. She's purely instinctual. It's a natural talent not many have. She'll go down in the record books with Pelé, Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, all amazing footballers who inspire many. We are looking forward to seeing her first game with Bayern Munich. Stay tune for an exclusive story on Cristiano Ronaldo." One of them says, signing off.

Papa and I turn off the tv. "Interesting." I say. "Do you really think I inspire others?" I ask.

Papa nods. "You inspire lots of girls to go out there and achieve their dreams, you inspire young boys to play football in the style that you do, and you inspire me to be the best father."

I smile. "Now you're making me cry. What's for lunch?"

"I could use some lunch." Thomas Müller says, coming into the living room followed by the rest of the team, minus Mario.

As Papa stares wide eyed at all of them I sigh. "Am I going to regret showing you this place?" I ask.

Thomas shrugs. "Probably, but I brought friends!" He says.

I nod. "I see that. Hey Bastian this is my papa. He loves you." I introduce the two.

Bastian grins, more than happy to be the favorite. He takes a seat next to my father and sits down engaging in a conversation.

"Mama! Manuel Neuer is here!"

Just like last time mom says. "Manuel Neuer?" As she comes out. This time she freezes in shock from a huge football team being in her living room.

"We came to egg the Götze's house." Bastian grins.

I laugh. "As great as that would make me feel, I don't think he lives there anymore."

"Okay so we'll egg it anyway!" Thomas grins.

"Haha you guys are funny." I say without humor.

Mama smiles at the boys. "Would you guys like to stay for lunch?" She asks.

All the guys shrug. "Yeah, why not?"

"Great!" Mama smiles. "But I need help if I'm going to feed all of you. Robert and Thomas come help me."

The two guys happily follow her back into the kitchen.

The rest of the guys sit down on any possible seat and the rest on the floor. They all engage in happy chatter while waiting for lunch.

"She said she thought pigs ran faster!" Bastian recalls to the team and my father talking about earlier this morning.

"I know now that they do."

"Hey!" Bastian says. "I'm sorry I'm not in your forward running group. You guys looked like hell, besides Little Miss Sunshine over here. How far did you run?"

"Like 9 or 10 miles." I say. "Next time I'm taking you for a special marathon length run."

Bastian pales. "Haha, you and your forwards look happy together. I wouldn't want to impose on any special ritual you guys might have."

Claudio groans. "You can take my spot. I've already taken an ice bath and currently I'm covered in IcyHot."

"Lewy looks fine." I say.

"Yeah, I bet he does." Bastian says suggestively.

"Bastian!" I say, slapping his shoulder. "I didn't mean it that way."

Bastian barely replies.

"Boys! Bella! Lunch is served." Mama calls. Like a flock of geese we migrate into the kitchen. I take a seat next to Robert and across from Bastian. On my other side is Thomas who looks guilty.

We all dig into our food happily.

"What'd you cook Mama?" I ask.

She smiles. "What did we cook? Robert cooked the brautwurst, I made the potato salad, and Thomas made the lemonade."

I'm so glad I didn't drink that lemonade.

"That's why my lemonade tastes salty!" Jerome says. "I thought I was crazy, but I think Thomas mixed the salt and sugar up."

We all turn to Thomas who grins his signature goofy grin.

"Thomas." We chorus loudly.

"Are these," Bastian says dramatically, "Polish sausages?"

All of us burst out in laughter despite the silliness of Bastian's comment. German humor is not the best. We find staring shamelessly at tourists entertaining, as well as watching them trying to fit in at Oktoberfest fest. They buy the cheapest dirndls and lederhosen just so they can drink large beers whilst dancing on benches till the crack of dawn.

"Haha." Robert says without any humor. The way he says it makes me laugh even harder. "Last time I heard that one, I fell of my dinosaur."

"Oooohhhhh!" We chorus. "Sassy Lewy has come out!"

We finish lunch, just talking about random things. Papa chatted with Bastian about everything possible, Mama watched Robert with a close calculating look, most likely wondering why he left her beloved Dortmund. I just laughed at everything Thomas said because most of it was ridiculous.

After awhile I sigh. "I'm full. And tired. I think I'm going to go nap. Thanks for coming over guys, you made me feel a thousand times better." I say.

"Aw, no problem!" Bastian says. "We'll see you at practice tomorrow."

I lead the guys out to their luxurious cars that undoubtedly attracted the attention of our neighbors.

"See you later!"

-----------------------