Chapter 8: Chapel of Love (Mature)

When I think of all the years I want to be with Tom, my heart aches. I want to wake up every morning for the rest of my life with him in my bed, and that is precisely what I plan to do. No matter how long or short it may be.

For a while, I felt like I was rushing him. He assured me time and time again that he couldn't wait for us to say, 'I do'. It's cliché, I know, but my forever won't nearly be enough for him. He always puts me first, and I'll forever be grateful for that.

The sky was blue, the sun was shining brightly and there were no clouds in sight. The air was warm, which made my skin feel a-glow. The birds were singing, as if they knew how amazing of a day this was going to be. A day where Tom and I will proclaim our love for each other. I will love him until the end of time, where I will be his and he will be mine.

We had never been one for tradition. We didn't have the time or the funds for a typical wedding. I was fine with going to the courthouse, but Tom was the one who wanted something a little more memorable. He took care of all the legal stuff, which was great because I had no idea what to do. He made me wait until the next Saturday when he had the day off, and he drove me to the surprise he planned for us.

Metropolis is very close to the Pacific Ocean. He drove us to the furthest edge of land where I noticed a couple of people standing around wearing nice clothes. I squinted softly and recognized one of them as Tom's best friend, Doug. I've met him at the chapel a few times, and once he invited us out to dinner with him and a couple other people that Tom works with. I got along well with them and I thought they were really nice, and later Tom told me that they all loved me.

Tom and I began our walk toward them, and I had my elbow hooked to his. I tried not to let my sandals get stuck in the green grass, and I had my other hand brushing up against the skirt of my sundress. It had a soft blue floral print over a white background, and a sweetheart neckline that I thought was sweet and perfect for our beautiful afternoon.

I could see the beautiful ocean glistening as we walked up to Doug. The sun was shining brightly above, and the ripples in the water bounced the friendly light of the sun around. Doug turned to look at us approaching, and there was a woman wearing a pastel yellow sundress standing beside him.

"Oh, Tom," I said softly and my hand found my heart. The ocean-view was extraordinary. Even though it was small, it was more than I could have ever hoped for. It was intimate, and special.

Tom looked towards me as we kept walking and said, "I know it's not perfect but—"

"No." I shook my head and smiled brightly. "It is perfect. I love it."

He kissed my temple and we walked up to them and Doug joked, "it's about time you two showed up."

Tom chuckled and said, "we took the scenic route."

Doug looked at me and he took my hand. His face beamed and he said, "Vivien, you look just as beautiful as ever."

I blushed softly and said, "thank you."

"Oh, Viv, this is my mom," Tom introduced with his arm extended out to the woman I didn't recognize. "Mom, this is Vivien."

I was a little nervous to meet her, I really wanted her to like me. I've been going out with Tom for only a few months, so I was afraid that she would think we were moving too fast or didn't approve of our relationship. I have no idea if Tom told her or anyone else about our time constraints. And I'm sure she's not very happy with first meeting me on her son's wedding day.

His beautiful mom had smile lines on her face, which told me that she's a very loving and happy person. Her hair was dark and fell in curls down her shoulders, and I could see that Tom has her eyes.