Chapter Four 》Ben

To be honest, I thought the way Jay had reacted to the hug was a bit strange, but I wasn't all that surprised. I mean, everyone at school seemed to ignore him completely, so he probably just felt alone. My hug probably made him feel like he finally had someone that cared, that was his age, of course. I was sure that his parents cared about him-

My thoughts were cut off by Jay's soft voice, "Uhm, do you want some popcorn?" He asked, holding the bowl in my direction shyly.

"Of course." I replied, taking a handful of popcorn and shoving it into my mouth. We were currently watching Patch Adams, after finishing Groundhog Day. I wanted to finish The Exorcist, but Jay apparently didn't like horror, much to my dismay.

He had insisted on having all of the blankets, so I was left with small corner of one of his. I tugged on my corner, because, quite frankly, I was freezing and only half of my leg was covered, "Can I have some blanket?" I asked, looking over to Jay, who was cocooned in about five different blankets.

"No." He said simply, snuggling up to his blankets.

"I'm gonna give you a fair warning, just hand over a blanket and no one gets hurt." I said, preparing to attack.

"But, I don't really feel like it." He shrugged, yawning softly.

"You asked for it!" I cried as I ripped his blankets off of him and began to mercilessly tickle his feet after taking off his socks.

"No! Stop!" Jay laughed, trying desperately to free his feet. His laugh was amazing. It sounded like music, and it made my heart flutter all over the place.

I let my hands slip under his shirt as I began tickling his sides as we fell of the couch. I noticed that his shirt had started to ride up, exposing dark purple bruises on his pale skin. I gasped and withdrew my hands, "What the hell?" I snarled, lifting up his shirt more, revealing dark bruises littering his stomach.

Jay pulled down his shirt in a panic, all traces of laughter from his face gone, "S-Sorry, maybe this wasn't such a good idea.." He mumbled, scooting away from me.

"Who did that?" I asked angrily, my fists clenched at my sides.

"It was just.. some guys from school," He muttered shyly, almost sounding afraid, "Don't worry, it won't happen again!" He added, sounding panicked.

"How am I supposed to not worry?" I asked, sounding a bit calmer. If I ever got my hands on whoever did this to Jay, I would kill them. Who would do this to Jay? Quiet, shy, innocent Jay? "Who did this?" I demanded, standing up.

"N-No one, j-just please don't be mad.." He mumbled softly, playing with loose strands on his jacket sleeve.

"Fine, but I just don't understand why someone would do this to.. you." I sighed, sitting one the couch, sounding rather defeated.

"It was my fault, I was just being stupid.." Jay whispered, sitting down on the couch next to me.

I sighed and shook my head. How could anything be his fault? "Do you want to change into pajamas?" I suggested, changing the topic.

"O-Okay.." He nodded weakly, following me up to my room.

We walked up to my room, and I began pulling out a few pajama shirts and pants, picking out the smaller clothes I had for Jay.

"Here you go." I said, tossing Jay a pair of pajama pants and a t-shirt.

"I'll go change in the bathroom." He said before rushing out of the room.

I slipped out of my clothes and pulled on my pajamas, trying to suppress my anger. I was lost in thought when I heard a loud knock on my door, before it opened and my dad walked in.