Chapter Eight 》Ben

Why did Jay Donovan have to be so fucking cute?

Thump.

Why did he have to blush all the time?

Thump.

Why did his smile have to make my heart leap?

Thump.

Why did he get to make me feel this way?

Thump.

Who gave Jay Donovan the right to-

The rubber ball I was throwing against the ceiling missed my hands and hit me square in the face, causing me to let out a loud groan of frustration as I sat up.

I stood up and began to pace the room. What was I supposed to do? I shouldn't feel this way about Jay. Not that I'm homophobic, but I'm just not gay.

I've never thought about a guy in that way. Why start now? Why Jay?

I let out a loud sigh, running a frustrated hand through my hair.

This was all probably just some crazy faze. I'd grow up and marry a nice girl, live in a nice house, and have a few nice kids. Right?

Right?

I groaned angrily, deciding to just ignore whatever I felt for Jay, because surely it would all blow over after a little while.

I walked out of my room, slowly trudging down the stairs.

I made my way into the kitchen, opening the pantry to see what I could have for a snack.

"Are you okay?" My dad asked as he walked into the kitchen.

"Yeah, I'm fine, why do you ask?" I asked, closing the pantry door after I grabbed a box of Fruit Loops.

"I don't know, you've been acting more like an 'angsty teen' than usual." He replied with a chuckle.

"Yeah, maybe I should get a fringe and start making mince meat out of my wrists." I joked, though my dad didn't seem to find it very funny.

"Come on, Ben, don't joke about that." He said seriously.

"Jeez, I didn't mean it." I sighed, munching in a fee pieces of the cereal.

"Okay, but I had a friend-" He began, but I cut him off.

"Please, I anything but a lecture!" I gasped dramatically, "I understand that it's not something you should joke about, I won't do it again." I said seriously.

"Good. But, now you have to tell me why you're down." My dad announced.

"Oh, uh, I just, read a sad book." I lied, not so smoothly, scooping some cereal into my mouth awkwardly.

"That would be a good lie, but you don't read," He said with a matter-of-fact tone, "I'll let you off the hook this time, though."

I just nodded, still chewing on the cereal.

"Okay, you can go off and do.. whatever you teenage boys do." He sighed, dismissing me with a wave of the hand.

I walked back to my room to wallow in boredom and self-pity.

I flopped down on my bed, ready to just take a nap and let myself forget about everything. Maybe when I woke up I'd be back to normal. You never know.

With a final groan of frustration, I cocooned myself in my sheets and let myself slip into a deep slumber.

When I woke up, it was dark outside, and to say that I was confused was an understatement. How long had I been asleep? What time was it? What year was it?