RPRT - 4

Ross

I'm abruptly woken up from a phone call, I look over to find it's Calum calling, I sigh.

I pick up my phone to answer the call...

"Do you know what time it is?" I hear loud music in the background being paused.

"Ross, it's half 11 - but that's not why I called you, it's not a wake-up call even though you should've been awake hours ago. No, I took your advice last night before falling asleep. I woke up to a reply, she fucking replied to my message Ross, I am freaking out" I chuckle at Calum. I did tell him to take the plunge.

"Well, what did she say?" I like taking an interest in my friend's life sometimes.

"I told her I was interested in meeting up because I wanted to get to know her more and she replied saying she felt the same and asked if I wanted to catch a movie on Saturday... I've got a date with the girl, Ross that is all thanks to you" Silly doof.

"You know I'll always be there for you man, I promised that from day 1 and I'll continue that promise" I meant it, always.

"Thanks, man, are you meeting Laura today?" I feel my cheeks burn, the simple mention of her name makes me nervous, and knowing that I am meeting her today, I am, simple, nervous.

"Yeah, she texted me last night saying she wanted to meet for a Starbucks today at lunch. I'm excited though" I really was, am.

"Well you better get ready, the Starbucks she's going to is down the road, but it is always packed" I checked the time on the analogue clock on my side table, it is 11:45 now, how have I been talking with Calum for 15 minutes already and it feels like he only just phoned me.

"Okay, well I get going then, gotta freshen up then leave this apartment to get there" Calum laughs on the other side. I was about to question him when he basically read my mind.

"Wow, not even 24 hours later and she's already getting you on your feet" I scoff at his sarcastic comment.

"Bye bro, plan your Saturday date and tell me later what you come up with"

"Aye, bye bro"

After placing my phone back on the wireless charger, I jump out of bed and grab a fresh set of clothes. I grab my 'back to the moon' red jumper and black jeans and converse. I sieve my hands through my hair and leave it be. I don't want to wear a pony today, plus, I like the way my hair is sitting today, it's rare I get these days.

Applying aftershave on, I grab my phone, keys & wallet and head out of the door.

Jumping into my car, I quickly check the text from Laura, double-checking myself the place.

Knowing the place I am meeting her, I turn the engine on and drive on.

At the store...

I park outside the branch, I don't see another car in sight, but I guess since this Starbucks isn't that far from Calum's, or mines for that matter.

She must've walked it then, I'll offer her a ride back though. I step out of the car and lock the door behind me.

Going inside the shop, I look around to find Laura sitting at the window booths, looking out at the opposite side that I parked on.

"Hey, Laura," I say before sitting down on the other side of the booth from her.

"Hey, Ross," we smile at each other, suddenly I'm really happy to be here, her face, her smile... it's all very pleasant and welcoming.

"Have you ordered yet?" Shaking her head, she looks outside.

"Can't afford anything in here, I said to meet here because it's close by and the walk to the renting agency is just down the road"

"Ahhh, that does make sense... do you want anything? It'll be on me" She shakes her head one more time.

"Nah, I'm alright" I don't feel right us both being in here and leaving without anything.

"Do you like hot chocolate?" She brings her eyebrows together.

"Course I do, who doesn't?" Good to know.

"I'll get 2 to go, plain and simple" She sighs at me, she ain't going to win this battle, not with me anyway.

"I'll be right back" She only nods, no words, but a wide smile clear upon her beautiful face.

I quickly order the hot chocolates and tell them the table we're at, I leave $10 for the cashier and told them to keep the change, I am not leaving Laura at the booth on her own.

"Okay, drinks will be along shortly"

"So, do you think I'll have any luck with finding a place?" I think for a moment and nod.

"Yeah, and also, if it happens and we're looking in shops and you find a piece of furniture you like... we can get it and store it at my place, I have a big studio apartment and I've got the space" Her face shows shock.

"You do not have to do that for me, seriously. I was going to shop at IKEA anyway... but then of course... if I can't even afford a drink at Starbucks, yeah... you've got a point, only if you're sure though" I smile.

"One thing to know about me, I won't offer what I can't do or afford" Putting that subject into perspective.

"Here are your hot chocolates, have a nice day"

We grab the drinks and walk out of the store.

"Which direction do you want to head to first?" She points in the direction I came from in the car.

"Should I find a parking lot for my car, I don't want to get fined for leaving it here..."

"Yeah, you should. There's one round the corner. Where is your car?" I point towards my sister's car.

"Technically it's not my car, it's my sisters. Mines is in the garage because the boss can't find the part that my car needs... my car is kinda ancient, but it's aged with beauty" I look to find Laura just starstruck by my sister's car.

"Before we find the parking lot for the car, do you want to ride in it with me whilst we find a parking spot?"

"Yes, yes please. I've never stepped foot inside a tesla in my life" Nodding, I get that. Some folk can't afford cars as nice as this one...

"My sister has to send me cash sometimes because I can't afford the refuels on this thing... she's got a successful clothing line, so she was able to buy this car within the first year of her launch"

We both climb into the car.

"Bare with me a second, I need to turn the car into manual. It's on auto-drive right now"

"These white leather seats... they are beautiful, does your sister allow food or drinks in this car?" I widen my eyes from shock. Shit.

"Uhhhhh, nope. Let's never tell my sister about the hot drinks inside her white leather interior designed car...deal?" I hold my pinky up to hers and she gladly does it back.

"Deal, can't have you getting into trouble and getting your ass kicked" She chuckles by the end of her sentence clearly mocking me. Rydel has never kicked my ass, mainly because I do things to prevent it.