RPRT - 8

Ross

It's morning.

My whole body feels relaxed and stress-free. I need to get the name of this bed, I need one.

After making the bed, I climb the stairs and find the ground floor bathroom - seriously Calum, you could've at least installed a toilet in the basement for convenience.

I wash my face, gurgle mint-flavoured mouth wash.

"Calum, you up yet?" I hear a little giggle.

"Morning Ross" I look up and it was Calum...

"Morning, I thought you were Laura for a second" I've never heard Calum giggle like that before.

"Laura is zipping up her suitcases, she's almost ready" I nod.

"Buddy, why do you not have a toilet downstairs, I had to come up here" He looks at me and burst out laughing.

"Bro, there is one down there..." I pause, is he shitting me?

"Nah, I am kidding... the contractors told me I couldn't get one installed, the basement is too low below the ground for the water pipes to be safely buried"  Is it illegal to smack your best friend?

"Jez man"

"Right guys, I'm ready" Laura struggles to carry her suitcases down the stairs so I clammer over to grab the biggest one and take it off her hands.

"Let me" She smiles and brushes a strand of hair behind her right ear.

"Thanks, Ross" We all walk out the house, Calum locking it up behind us.

I open the trunk of the car and put the biggest suitcase in first, taking the second one from Laura and placing that next to it. Closing it and climbing into the front.

"Are we all ready?"

"Yep- let's goooooo" Calum's very enthusiastic about this, which makes me happy.

"Are you excited to see my new place or to be getting out of the glass palace?" Calum smiles at us both.

"Yes!" We all laugh, I turn the ignition on and start driving.

"This is your new place? It's beautiful, but where's all the glass?" I chuckle, Laura does too.

"Only the windows are glass, I like it. But the view from the corner window is what kinda sold me further on this location" Calum walks over and throws the shear curtains open.

"Whoa, a river, what a view" we all nod in agreement.

"Yep, exactly"

"So does that mean I no longer have a roomie?" Okay, that felt— I felt a pang of guilt.

"Not necessarily Calum, we can stay at each other's place! You know you're more than welcome here anytime— both of you are" She looks in me, her eyes saying thank you.

"Thanks, Laura, means a lot"

"So what're the plans then? You gonna get a job or what?" I know my work has openings but the hours are killer.

"Depending on if you don't mind long hours... my work is looking for staff— I can put your CV forward if you like"

"Ross, thank you for that offer. But I don't have a CV... I've never worked! I mean, I have worked... I just, I write music, record it on my own— I've never actually published them though. My father was the one supporting me financially until he went bankrupt. That's how I lost everything because the bank took it from us. I was gonna tell you Calum, I just wasn't ready to talk about it. I had some money put aside of course hence how I was able to afford this place and the rent so looking for work isn't going to be easy for me" Calum & I grab Laura in for a hug.

"You've got us, we won't let you fall little one" we laugh at Calum attempting to joke.

"Well, if you want I can help you with the music part— I can sing & write just never took the career path because my parents I'd probably not make it" She smiles and cuddles into my chest.

"Maybe Ross, maybe. At a later date, I'll show you what I've got— it's on my laptop right now but I want to get other things out of the way" I nod understanding. She's going through a lot.

--

It was later in the day and Laura felt the living room could do with a little renovating, she call it that, it was more like moving the TV to another angle of the room and changing the curtains over to the swish blinds, which of course required me to climb onto some furniture and install the new system for the blinds. That was of course after taking down the curtains and their poles.

We did drill any holes or anything, we used super-strong double-sided tape to attach the blinds holding connectors.

"Whoa that makes a difference in here, thanks Ross" I nod, looking at my own work, I was pretty proud.

"As much as I hate to do this... I got to get back to mines and get some work done... you 2 going to be okay from here for now?" They nod, I reach to them and give them both big long hugs.

"See you both later, bye" I was going to miss them. Seeing Calum after so long and getting to meet Laura and help her out getting this place, it was lovely getting a little break from my work.

Getting into my car, I get a text. It's from the garage.

My car is ready and I can pick it up tomorrow.

I switch apps and tap on my sister's conversation.

"Rydel, my car is ready... you want to come to mine tomorrow morning in an Uber and come with me to the garage, that way you can drive your car back?" I send the text and drive back home, it felt weird driving without company. I've only known Laura for less than 72 hours and I already miss her, big time.

I reach my apartment building within 10 minutes of driving, dam I am not that far from Laura... maybe it won't be a bad thing that I am not that far away... could always do surprise visits...

Okay, I am thinking too far into this.

I get a reply from my sister as I am stepping out of the car.

"Bro, are you sure you don't want to keep the car, your old one is like....ancient, I don't mind" I chuckle from the text, is she mad.

"Sis, you've got a clothing line company and can afford to run not 1 but 2 of these cars... I can barely afford to run this, or are you forgetting about the times you send me money to keep this car going? I'd rather keep my old one where I can actually afford the diesel" I wasn't kidding, it cost a fortune to run this thing.

"Alright bro, I'll be at yours 9 sharp tomorrow morning, be ready" I send back a thumbs up.

I then send another text into a group chat I decided to create to Laura and Calum.

"Hey, guys... I won't have the Tesla after tonight, I'm getting my own car back from the garage tomorrow" I send it and head upstairs.