CHAPTER ONE

PROMOTE, VOTE, FAN/ FOLLOW PLEAAAAAAAAASE xx

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER ONE

“Wake up honey.” Mom’s voice called from outside the room while she knocked on the door non-stop.

The alarm clock was on the floor inside a pillowcase making an earsplitting wake up call. I probably swatted it while I was attempting to make it stop. I tried opening my eyes but it wouldn’t. I was too tired doing nothing last night.

“It’s time to go to school. You’re gonna be late again. C’mon now.” I was able to stand up but my eyes were still shut. My mind was still asleep, yet my body moved on its own like it was already a habit.

The cold water completely woke me up so the next thing I knew, I was in the bathroom taking a shower. I was completely unsure if I already brushed my teeth so I exhaled and smelled my breath. It was foul and I almost fainted from it. When was the last time I brushed my teeth?

In front of the mirror, I gazed at my reflection, studying my own face. I was struck to see a double of a young Tom Cruise or maybe if you compared me with many teen stars, I was better looking, Well, that’s how we see ourselves. Maybe I was not that handsome, but I thought it was enough, except for my pure black hair that wouldn’t lighten to a bistre when directed to sunlight just like my eyes. After having cleaning my teeth, I got dressed and walked to the dining area. I waited for the food.

“Since it’s your first day in sophomore year, I made you your favorite dish.” Mom served the food then sat with me. The usual, minced hotdogs and egg mixed with rice.

“Oh wow…” I said, sounding sarcastic, with a straight face. “Mom, this isn’t my favorite dish.”

“But you eat it everyday, how can you not like it?” She said.

“I’m not saying that I don’t like it. You serve it everyday, how can I not eat it.” Every weekday mornings, she prepared either minced hotdogs or bacon and egg. I ate it without complementing or complaining about its taste. Considering that she cooked it everyday, I was kinda fed up with it. Mom worked as a cook in a fast food restaurant a few blocks from here so that really made me wonder if those are the only food she cooked in there.

“Then do you want me to cook something else for you?”

“You really don’t have to. Mm… This is really great!” I said as I chewed my food. I didn’t want to disappoint my mom so I stopped complaining.

“Good to hear it. Anyway, are you excited for school?” She asked with eagerness in her voice.

“Not really. I’d rather sleep and watch TV the whole day.”

“Come on, what about your friends? Maybe they missed you a whole bunch.”

“Nah, I’m pretty sure they’ll also choose to sleep rather than to go to school.” I replied, saying the truth. Mom looked away.

“Kids nowadays, tsk. You should take your studies seriously, you know. Don’t sleep in class okay?”

“I’ll try.” I looked at her with a dummy smile.

“Hm…” She pouted.

“Don’t worry. I’ll try my best.”

“That’s what I wanted to hear!” She smiled and extended her right arm towards me with an open fist. I gave her a high five.