CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR

We were inside the gymnasium not minding the principal speaking on stage. There were about a thousand people inside or even more. It was so darn hot. I could feel my sweat boiling. The foul stench of those fat guys who doesn’t use a deodorant joined the fresh air. When the wind blew, the foul smell directly entered my nose. I kinda felt dizzy every time it happened.

I looked around to check the new faces and those of I knew. I had nothing else to do since Zein was fast asleep on his seat with his mouth opened. I can’t believe him. He could sleep in such a position. While I was checking some faces, I saw somebody picking his nose. Definitely gross. Most people were talking to each other, and there was a couple I glanced upon. They were kissing. Like, what the heck. Talk about public display of affection. Couldn’t they do that in private? At least get a room.

I caught a glimpse of the Combined Brothers and they were waving their hands at me. We’ve only seen each other fifteen minutes ago yet they missed me that much. A few seats on my right, was Nikki. She was staring at me intensely then she winked. Weird… On the other side of the gym, sitting by the bleachers was the odd girl. When I saw her, she reminded me again of my dream yesterday when I was a rabbit.

I was right that she was a freshman. She was with her freshmen classmates though none of them was talking to her. She paid full attention to the speaker. I guessed she really wanted to know the school. It was her second day in this place so I bet it’d be tough for her to cope up. Although she was odd, I still wanted to know her name for an unknown reason.

It was afternoon. Class ended without me getting much sleep. The CB’s weren’t the ones who woke me up. This time, it was Bea.

“Sleeping in class again…”

I slowly elevated my head and glanced at her with my eyes barely opened, blinking every second. “What?” I asked.

“It’s been an hour since class ended.” She informed.

I looked around me. Everyone was already gone. I checked the clock above the blackboard. It was four twenty-three. I wondered where Zein might have gone. Maybe he went straight home or went to that instrument store he told me. I stood up and wore my bag behind my back.

“Are you going home yet?” I asked.

“After I check every room if it’s properly arranged.” She answered. I didn’t know that she had a tough job everyday. She’s really responsible.

“Okay, I’d better wait for you. It would only take a while right?”

“I don’t need you here. I’ve got two rooms left.” She said, irritated.

“I’ll just stand here.” I replied. She didn’t complain.

We left my classroom and she locked the door. She checked the two rooms next to mine and locked both of it.

As she pulled out the key from the hole, I spoke. “You have a difficult job. You do this everyday?”

“Yeah. I got used to it so it’s nothing but you boys should be responsible with your mess. Anyway, thanks for waiting for me.” She answered. Talk about hating men that much.

“Sure.”

We left the building, walking in silence next to each other. I wanted to start a conversation but I figured that I would probably say nonsense and inappropriate stuff, so instead, I just walked beside her, watching our legs march and listening to the sound of our footsteps.