Chapter 3

TUTTO E TROPPO meaning, “much and too much”. An Italian diner where customers could enjoy homemade Italian food from the comfort of a rebranded and refurnished vintage train that hadn’t been running for well over a decade. The owner of the restaurant, a short and fat man by the name of Carlo, was a close “buddy” (his words) of my father’s. They drank together, and gambled together, getting into the occasional fight because one accidently spent all the money that he had on him on their gambling games and lost. My father claims that they have known each other ever since they were teenagers and Carlo was someone that he trusted and vice versa. 

I was one of the four waitresses that Carlo had and all of the waitresses were Italian beauties. They had perfectly tanned skin, dark eyes, dark and long hair that bounced and flowed on their backs. With the exception of a single girl’s preferred make up look, they almost looked like Italian models who stepped out of an Italian magazine. They were tall and slim, with eyes so intense, they could give Bella Hadid a run for her money. 

The uniform that we were required to wear was a red and white checked dress that gave a classic retro look and feel, with a sweet streamer collar with embroidery, wide cuffs and a wide skirt that flared out in a way that gave you the feel of a dancer or those sexy waitresses you would see on TV. There was a tiny bindable apron that we tied around our waists and we had to wear a white pretty hat with red embroidery, spelling out the name of the restaurant. The dress was short and reached just below the butt and if you weren’t careful when you bent over, then the diners would obviously get a peek of your ass. Our uniform included a pair of red platform heels that added an extra seven inches to my height and were not at all comfortable but, there was no way to complain. 

“Good, good,” Carlo purred as I stepped out from the back to show him how the uniform looked on my figure. I was not supermodel thin like the other waitresses but I was slender, and the uniform fit me well. Carlo stroked his beard as he looked at me from bottom to top before his brown beady eyes met my own and he let out a crooked smile. “you look good. The customers will be happy.” 

I shifted uncomfortably from foot to foot because this wasn’t me. I tugged a bit at the skirt, trying to make it longer but it didn’t help. I was highly uncomfortable because this wasn’t like me at all, “I think the skirt might be a bit too short.” I said softly as I looked back at Carlo who shook his head at me. 

“What? Absolutely not. It’s perfect.” He told me in broken Italian. “now come on, you must get ready to take orders with Elena.” He grabbed my wrist and began to pull me behind him while I struggled to keep up with him as he led me to the front of the store where the other waitresses were moving about with ease and grace. “Elena, help Delaney.” He said as he let go of my wrist once we approached Elena. 

Elena had her long luscious hair in dramatic extra-large waves all gathered by a ribbon on the top of her head. She stood at 5’9 and looked back at me with dark eyes, lined by dark lashes in pure boredom and contempt as if I wasn’t worthy of her time. She didn’t say anything, just glanced back at Carlo and said something in Italian and Carlo nodded his head and walked to the back. 

She looked back at me, “quanto è buono il tuo italiano?” she asked me and I looked at her with confusion. She saw the blank look on my face, “how good is your Italian?” she repeated in English, her tone even more disappointed. She walked around the counter and signalled for me to follow behind her. I saw her grab a notepad off the counter. 

“Erm, not that good. I don’t know any Italian, in fact.” I said nervously as she walked us over to a booth where her and the two diners all began speaking in Italian. Elena effortlessly spoke to the diners who were an elderly couple, a couple who poorly disguised their shock and horror at me standing there. They said something to Elena and she turned to look at me before she looked back at them and smiled, and replied, “sì, è nuova.” (yes, she’s new).