goodbyes

Summary - Tom and Zendaya have to part ways for work
Words - 1026
————

"Good morning, look at what day it is."

April 28. While Tom was trying to lighten the mood with sarcasm, it was actually a day both of them had been dreading for the previous weeks, although they tried to ignore it. They knew how lucky they were to have the opportunity to spend over 2 months straight together. Both of their schedules lining up with breaks at the same time, being incredibly unusual with their current state of their careers. Interviews and new casting opportunities coming around at every corner.

And yet here they were, laying in bed, at the end of this time. They had time to prepare for the goodbyes, but they weren't ready for it. That is often how goodbyes work, ignoring them until your confronted with them like being hit by a truck.

"Do you have to leave?" Zendaya asked Tom, referring to the fact he had to go do press in Paris before going to other locations for even more. She would tag along with him, but she had her own obligations.

"You know I'd spend every moment with you if i could. We're lucky to have had this time in the first place."

"Doesn't make it any easier to leave. The idea of going back to the whole long distance thing just upsets me."

"Well if it upsets you so much, don't think of it as long distance. We get to spend much more time together than most long distance couples do, anyway."

Zendaya just wrapped her arms around him tighter, and Tom knew she was thinking about what he was saying, and hopefully agreeing, which he assumed she was due to her lack of comments.

"Hey, and in a few years, we'll get settled down, have a plan and not have to do this all the time." Tom added

"I'd rather have that sooner than later."

Zendaya appreciated whenever Tom mentioned settling down with her. She knew he wanted kids, and mentioned it in passing a few times, although they never had a serious sit-down conversation about it. It would probably come up at some point, but they both mutually understood they wanted a future together, were content with it without having a conversation at the moment.

"What time is it?" Zendaya asked, not wanting to roll over and reach to grab her phone.

Tom picked up his phone and looked at the time, ignoring business email and text notifications, trying to spend as much time feeling like he didn't have to work as possible.

"8:43, I should get going in around two hours."

In response to this Zendaya pouted, and lightly hit his chest. Tom, seeing her upset, took it as an opportunity to tease her;

"Hey, a lot can get done in two hours." He said, adding a wink, prompting Zendaya to roll her eyes.

————

And those next hours went by quicker than the two wished they had. Zendaya sat on the bed as Tom packed the last of his toiletries, savoring those last moments of peace.

And then Tom was standing in the living room with his suitcases, ready to go to the airport.

"Goodbye time?"

"Tom I' m driving you to the airport"

"Well I assumed you wouldn't want to be hugging and crying in front of security guards and my brother. And those paparazzi pictures?"

"Mm. You're right." Zendaya said as she walked up to hug him.

"I won't be crying, thought" She added jokingly, while already feeling her eyes well up with tears.

And they stood there for a few moments, before Tom pulled away to wipe the tears that were now on Zendaya's cheeks, the ones she just said wouldn't appear.

"Its not like I'm leaving forever." Tom said before kissing her forehead, and then her lips.

"It's just hard because we don't know when we will see each other next, normally we already have it planned out, you know?" Zendaya replied, taking Tom's hands in hers.

"You just have to hope it's sooner rather than later"

"Your positivity is hurting me."

"I try my best." Tom shot back as the two began to walk towards the direction of the door, grabbing his suitcases in the process.

————

"You know how to lock up right?" Tom asked Zendaya as he put his suitcases in the trunk, referring to the fact she was staying at his place alone in London for a few days before she had to leave herself.

"Yes, I think I've spent enough time here to know how the house works." She replied sarcastically as Tom got in the passengers seat.

Their half an hour ride was filled with random conversations, the two bantering back and forth about which music to play. But before they knew it they were there, and Zendaya pulled up to where she needed to drop him off, security guards waiting by the entrance, along with Harry, who offered to drive Tom to the airport. However, he declined, as Harry predicted he would.

As soon as Zendaya put the car in park, Tom leaned over, cupped her cheeks and brought her into a kiss. Zendaya leaned in more, allowing him to deepen the kiss. The two stayed in that moment for a bit before pulling away, and rested their foreheads against each other.

"I'll see you soon, okay?" Tom whispered to her

"Yeah. Text me when you land." Zendaya replied, sitting back in her seat.

"You know I will." Tom sat there for a moment before sighing and adding on, "I should probably get going."

"I guess you should."

Tom muttered a quick "Alright." before leaning over to peck Zendaya on the lips one more time. Zendaya reached out and grabbed his hand, holding onto it as Tom opened the door and got out of the car, until she couldn't anymore.

As soon as he shut the door, she turned on the music, trying to distract herself. She watched and waited as he got his suitcases, greeted Harry, and went into the entrance.

As she drove back to his house, she continued to assure herself with what Tom told her, She'd see him soon.

————