empty

Summary - Tom flies out to suprise Zendaya
Words - 1298
————

Zendaya laid in bed, the weight of her covers feeling heavy on her body. Her eyes, barely open, stared through the darkness and towards the ceiling. Not only was she physically exhausted, but emotionally as well. She couldn't sleep, couldn't cry, she just felt empty.

While she had gone through mild depressive episodes in her life before, every time she was in the middle of one, she felt it would never end, even though she ended up just fine a few weeks later. Mental health was a constant battle with ups and downs, and she still hadn't mastered it to stay in the field of being alright, and she didn't know if she ever would.

If there was one thing she did know, it was that she needed someone to lean on. She wished this person was actually with her instead of across the sea in a different country. So, instead of clinging to him 24/7, she had to settle with ranting to him on the phone, and sending him sappy texts. However, even with that communication, she was still more distant from him than she usually was.

So, when Tom read the text his girlfriend sent him at 5 in the morning when he woke up, he knew the only option was to go see her. The text was only a simple "I need you here" followed by a "I was just sad and being dramatic, sorry, I'm fine, don't get worried." sent 20 minutes later. However, even though she didn't tell him much of anything, he knew what was going on with her. He couldn't just sit around hoping she was alright, he needed to actually see her.

He had obligations in England, which was the only thing keeping him so far from Zendaya. Otherwise, he'd be there with her. But, now, he was willing to drop that to go to her, he had a valid enough reason to leave after she sent that message to him.

Before he could plan anything, he couldn't just ghost her for the rest of that day, and the best way to acknowledge the text was by giving her a phone call. She picked up on the second ring.

"Tom, before you say anything, I'm fine. It was the middle of the night and I was just sad but I'm okay now and-" Before Zendaya could continue ranting, Tom cut her off.

"Babe, hey, It's alright. You know that I'm here for you, right?"

"Of course I do, thanks for calling."

The two talked and caught up for a few minutes, Tom failing to mention his plans to fly out throughout the call.

Although his mind was made on making the trip, he couldn't just disappear without telling Harry, since he was so involved with his professional life. The two staying in their parents house for the moment meant all Tom needed to do was make his way downstairs and sit at the island, across from where Harry was busy making himself breakfast to have a conversation with him.

"Harry, I'm flying out to LA today, would you help me rearrange some things?" Tom said to him, not knowing how else to communicate the information to him besides just ripping off the bandaid.

"Hm last minute, is it Zendaya?" Harry replied, knowing his brother and that the situation definitely had to do with her.

"Yeah, I just need to be there for her right now."

"Zendaya? What happened, is she alright?" Their mom, hearing most of their conversation from the other room, called out concerned while walking into the kitchen.

"Yeah Mom she's fine, just down right now." Tom replied.

"Poor thing, Well make sure she knows I'm thinking of her, and that she's welcome to come out and stay here anytime she needs" Nikki said, who cares about Zendaya almost as much as Tom did, if not more, and constantly reminded him she wanted her as an official daughter-in-law.

"Oh I will, I'm sure she already knows though." Tom responded.

"Well you can never tell someone you care about them too many times, Tom." Nikki added before walking out of the room. Her motherly wisdom never failed to make its way into every conversation they had.

After she was gone, Harry chimed in, "I'll start canceling and postponing your events for the next week, how long will you be gone for?"

"I don't know, at least a week, I've gotta go get ready though, I'll call you when I'm there to make sure everything's still good. Thank you. I'll make calls to some people right now."

So, he made a few phone calls, some people being more unhappy than others, booked a flight, and packed.

And less than a day later, he was landing in Los Angeles. He got a ride to Zendaya's house, got his suitcases, and began to walk towards the door of her house, key in hand.

————

As Zendaya was sitting on her couch, watching Television and eating her lunch, the last thing she expected was for her boyfriend to walk through the door then. Although she was wondering why he hadn't texted her more throughout the day, she chalked it up to him just being busy. As much as she hated to admit it, she was a bit upset about it. He knew what situation she was in right now, and Tom not checking in on her again made Zendaya feel he did not care, as much as her rational mind tried to tell her he did.

As she heard someone opening the door, she was quite startled. The only other people to have keys were Darnell, who was out of town, and Tom, who was obviously in England, as she thought. Her mind was quickly proven wrong when she saw the image of Tom walking through the door with his bag, the rare sight of him without any assistants with him. She discarded her plate beside her and ran up to hug him, jumping over Noon in the process.

Tom said a soft "Hi" into her shoulder and Zendaya pulled away slightly to hold his face in her hands.

"What are you doing here?"

"Well darling, I couldn't just let you be here without support knowing how upset you are right now."

Upon hearing this, Zendaya pulled him back into a hug. She always knew how much he cared for her, but when he put it into words it hit her harder.

"I love you." Zendaya said as a response.

"I love you. So much." Tom replied before pulling her into a kiss.

The two stayed there for a moment. In that bliss, where Zendaya wasn't completely stuck in her head. But soon enough, the two pulled away, and Zendaya took his hand.

"Babe, you must be exhausted, did you sleep at all of the plane?" Zendaya asked, still wanting to care for him when she was the one who needed attention in that moment.

"It's fine Zendaya, I would rather spend time with you than sleeping it away." However, as these words came out of Tom's mouth, Zendaya was already leading him to the bedroom, making their way around the various messes on the floor.

"To be completely honest, sleeping is all I have the energy to do right now so I'd be happy to join you. You know I haven't slept much the past few days, and I think with you here I'll actually be able to." Zendaya replied, jumping into her unmade bed, Tom following and laying beside her.

After a few minutes of mindless conversation, the two drifted off to sleep.

————

Once the two were awake from their nap a few hours later, Zendaya opened her phone to a notification.

"Aw look, Your mom texted me."

————