14 - we're going steady now, doll

It was only after Keating was sure that he had spoiled, pampered, and coddled Maria to the best of his abilities did Keating join McAllister for tea in the small room off the classroom.

It was then that Mr. Nolan knocked on the door and entered. "Excuse me," he nodded at the two men. "May we have a word, Mr. Keating?"

Keating nodded. "Certainly," he said, standing, fixing his tie and following Mr. Nolan into the classroom.

"This was my first classroom, John," Nolan said fondly. "Did you know that? My first desk."

"Didn't know you taught, Mr. Nolan."

"English," Nolan nodded. "Oh, long before your time. It was hard giving it up, I can tell you."

The tension between the two men grew steadily.

"I'm hearing rumors, John, about some unorthodox teaching methods in your classroom. I'm not saying they've anything to do with the Dalton boy's outburst. But I don't think I have to warn you that boys his age are very impressionable," Nolan said.

"Well, your reprimand made quite an impression, I'm sure," Keating said firmly. "Yours to my niece as well."

Nolan stiffened, it had been a while since he had been on the receiving end of an upset parent. Most of the Welton parents were at ease with him taking control of the discipline of the boys, peaceful with their dissociation from it all. But he should've known that Keating would probably be different, with having a niece - a girl - and all.

"I apologize if Miss Keating's discipline did not meet your expectations, John," Nolan trod carefully. "But I know you understand that we cannot have the students at Welton running wild. Particularly, we cannot have young girls running wild. Girls should be spoiled, indulged, yes, but not allowed to become flippant and rotten."

Keating narrowed his eyes, straightening his back. "I assure you, Mr. Nolan, that Maria is far from 'running wild'."

Nolan raised an eyebrow at that. "You must know that she played a part in that outrageous publication," he said. "She admitted to it herself that she had the idea and persuaded the Dalton boy to publish it for her."

"Her and I have discussed it, yes," Keating said and nothing more.

Nolan let out a small breath of frustration. "I hope you don't mind me overstepping, John, but as someone who's raised daughters, I advise you to keep a closer eye on Miss Keating," he said. "We wouldn't want any... incidents to occur, especially since she appears so very close to some of the boys and quite evidently has the ability to persuade them quite strongly."

"Mr. Nolan, my wife and I trust that we raised a well-mannered, thoughtful, and intelligent girl," Keating said, despite the sour taste in his mouth. "I trust her judgement in the friends she keeps and I trust in her, entirely."

"Yes, well, too much trust in a teenage girl may delude her," Nolan said. "Lead her to believe in things - foolish things - lead her to think that she can accomplish things that are outside her realm."

Keating said nothing, but the tension in the room grew palpable.

"What was going on in the courtyard the other day?" Nolan asked, shifting the subject.

"Courtyard?"

"Yes, Boys marching, clapping in unison."

"Oh, that," Keating nodded. "That was an exercise to prove a point. Dangers of conformity."

Nolan scoffed at that. "Well, John, the curriculum here is set. It's proven it works. If you question, what's to prevent them from doing the same."

"I always thought the idea of education was to think for yourself," Keating said thoughtfully.