25 - how extraordinary

Seven Years Later...

The diamonds on either side of her mother's garnet sparkled in the early evening sunlight. Above it, a newly acquired gold Welsh band.

Maria smiled to herself, inspecting them, the weight of both rings still feeling odd after a week, but comforting.

Charlie had returned her mother's garnet ring about a year ago - well, after making some expensive amendments. He had gone to a jeweller in Boston, bought two diamonds, and asked them to add them to the ring. Then, after a fancy date where he had picked up Maria in his spiffy car, had dinner at a five-star restaurant, and decided to grab ice cream for a walk along a lakeside, he had gotten down on one knee.

Sometimes, Maria still found herself smiling silly at the memory of how Charlie had looked at her tenderly, gotten down on one knee and pulled a ring box from his pocket. How he had looked at her under the dim light of the evening and just simply said, "Doll, marry me?" and snapped open the box to reveal her mother's deep garnet ring flanked on either side by two sparkling diamonds and Maria had leapt into his arms, nodding yes - a million times, yes.

"What are you thinking there, doll?"

Maria turned as Charlie caught up to her. "That I like things that sparkle," she said cutely and Charlie laughed at that.

"I'll keep it in mind," Charlie said. "Something that sparkles for every wedding anniversary here on out, what do you say?"

"A little excessive," Maria said, smiling. "But I'm not one to deny gifts from my doting husband."

Charlie rolled his eyes at her, moving to pinch her cheek lightly before he gave her a peck on the lips. "You know," he said thoughtfully. "I think you're actually the breadwinner in the house, Mrs. Broadway-Headliner."

Maria blushed at that. She was headlining a new show on Broadway in a few months and sometimes that still made her head woozy. It was crazy to think that she had somehow gone from a meadow mouse to a Broadway headliner.

"I'll get you a new watch after our honeymoon," she said, arching a brow at Charlie. "What do you say?"

"I'm not one to deny gifts from my doting wife," Charlie mimicked her, taking in her radiant smile and loving the fact that it hadn't changed an inch, not even after seven years.

So much had happened in seven years.

Charlie and Maria had navigated through the challenges of being physically apart from one another, fueled by their unwavering love and determination to make it work. Despite the distance, they had done it, they had managed to keep their love while finishing university and establishing their careers.

Charlie had taken the reins of Dalton Financial Group, guided by his father and his own ambitious spirit. With his astute business acumen and suave attitude - that Maria amusingly found had only increased over the years - and his unwavering dedication, he had expanded the company's operations to New York City, where Maria had laid the roots of her career.

Julliard had marked the beginning of an incredible start for Maria. Her voice had become even more enchanting over the years - as duly noted by Charlie - captivating audiences and letting her find her stage on Broadway.

Their careers had often taken them to different corners of the world, especially when Charlie faced challenge after challenge with building up Dalton Financial Group in New York, their schedules were more than just demanding, but Charlie and Maria had made it work - they always made it work.

As they walked through hand-in-hand, Maria couldn't help but reflect on it all. "Remember when we could only write letters to each other, my sweet?" She mused softly.