21 - carpe diem

Todd looked out the window and watched as Hager escorted Meeks back to the door. He sighed, holding his pillow to his chest and looking over at Neil's empty bed, feeling his heart ache in his chest. He knew that Neil would be back soon, but something still felt different.

Everything was about to change and he hated that even more than how much he had once hated how everything was always the same at Welton.

••●••

Meeks walked slowly into his room as Hager remained standing at the end of the hallway.

"Knox Overstreet," the teacher called and after Knox emerged out of his room stoically, the two of them walked away and Todd left his room to find Meeks.

"How did it go?" Todd asked, standing in the doorway.

Meeks looked over at him. "Brutally," he said. "Nolan's an ass."

Todd let out a breath. "I know it's our plan to go along with him," Todd said, "but it still feels awful."

Meeks nodded in agreement.

The boys were silent for a moment before Meeks slowly smiled. "I did something though," he said.

Todd straightened curiously. "What?"

"I signed my name wrong," Meeks eyes flashed mischievously. "I signed it 'STEPHAN' so really, I didn't sign a damn thing."

Todd let out a bubble of laughter. "You're a genius, Meeks," he said.

Meeks smiled. "And don't you forget it."

••●••

Charlie scowled at his signature on the document. He knew it was their plan all along, but he wasn't exactly stupid enough to not put up a fight. He was sure that his compliance would've raised alarm bells for Nolan.

Nolan took the document into his hand and nodded with triumph at seeing the slow collection of signatures at the bottom of the page. He then leaned back in his chair, a smug grin playing on the corners of his lips. He glanced at Charlie's parents and remarked, "Mr. and Mrs. Dalton, it's unfortunate that we must also discuss another matter concerning your son's association with Miss Maria Keating."

"That is Mr. Keating's niece, correct?" Mr. Dalton asked.

"Indeed. I must say, it's quite peculiar."

Mr. Dalton was a man with a stern demeanour, but a very deep affection for his son - if anything, the Daltons spoiled their children quite excessively. He narrowed his eyes at the headmaster. "And what exactly is the nature of this discussion, Mr. Nolan?" He asked with the same professionalism he used in the bank with his clients.

Nolan leaned forward, his gaze fixed on Charlie. "It has come to my attention that Charlie and Miss Keating seem very close, much closer than what is appropriate between a young man and a young lady."

Charlie's mother spoke up, her voice carrying a hint of defiance that was very similar to Charlie's. "And what exactly is wrong with that? Charlie has always had a good head on his shoulders despite his few impulsivities. If he found comfort and friendship in the company of Miss Keating, then we see no reason to intervene."

Nolan's smile widened an edge of malice in his eyes. "Oh I'm not suggesting that you intervene, Mrs. Dalton," he said, feigning care. "Merely, I think it's important for you to keep an eye on your son and ensure that he doesn't get swayed and distracted by misguided influences."

Charlie clenched his fists under the table, his frustration bubbling inside him. He spoke up, trying to maintain a semblance of innocence. "Mr. Nolan, I assure you, Maria and I are just friends," he lied because Nolan had no business talking about his and Maria's relationship. "There's nothing more to it."