17 - liar, liars, pants on fire

"You all right, Neil?" Maria asked, looking over at him during free hours. The group had finished their homework, after much deliberation about a precalculus question that had even Meeks pulling at his hair and were now relaxing in the student lounge.

Neil was pulled out of his thoughts and gave Maria a tentative smile. "Yeah, I guess."

She quirked her head to the side, shifting in her seat to look face Neil more head-on. As she moved, Charlie glanced over at her and smiled briefly before turning back to the game of chess he and Meeks were playing. In a movement of unconscious familiarity, he intertwined his free hand with one of Maria's, brought it up to his lips and placed a kiss on the back of her hand.

Maria focused on Neil, eyeing him closely. "Are you nervous about tomorrow?" She tried, noticing how Neil seemed a little distant and preoccupied. He hadn't even been there for dinner, having cited that he had grabbed something to eat after his rehearsal and wasn't hungry enough for a second meal of Hell-ton spaghetti and meatballs.

Neil hesitated for a moment, then shook his head. "No, not really," he replied, his voice a little unsteady. "I'm fine, Maria. Just thinking about stuff."

Maria could tell that there was more to it than that, but she didn't want to push him too hard. "Well, if you ever need to talk, you know where to find me," she said, giving him a reassuring smile.

"In Charlie's room?" Neil quipped quickly, feeling slightly better at the chance to tease Maria.

"Ha. Ha. Ha. Very funny, Perry," she countered back, but her eyes shone with something that made Neil feel something deep inside him. He watched as she turned to Charlie briefly, and he placed a quick kiss on the side of her head in a comforting move.

That was passion, wasn't it? That was love, even if his two friends hadn't realized it yet.

Neil couldn't help but feel a little envious of the two of them, how easily and openly they could show their passion and love for one another. While he, sat here struggling with his own. His passion for acting - his love for acting - having met the biggest obstacle in his life - his father.

He could never show his love, his passion, that openly.

"If you are feeling a little nervous about performing," Maria said suddenly, turning back to him. "You should go talk to Uncle John. He always helped me calm down before a performance."

"Wait, Maria, you perform?" Knox asked, incredulous. "Why didn't you ever tell us?"

Maria shrugged, feeling a little embarrassed. "It's not a big deal," she said, trying to downplay things. "Just a couple of singing recitals her and there."

"Singing recitals?" Knox repeated, eyes wide at this knew fact.

Todd settled back in his seat, crossing his arms over his chest, feeling a little proud that he was definitely the first to know of that.

While Charlie, never ever letting the chance to show off his girlfriend go, perked up quickly. "She's amazing," he gushed. "Sweetest voice in all of Vermont - no in all of the world -"

"Charlie..." Maria admonished quietly, shaking her head at him.

"You all have to hear her," Charlie said with a bright, prideful smile.

Todd suddenly jolted up. "What? Charlie, you've heard her sing?"

Charlie puffed his chest out with pride. "Course I have."

"When?" Todd fired back.

It was Charlie's turn to shift slightly and Maria noticed how cute he looked when he was a little shy. "When I was in her room earlier," he said, trying to look cool.