Chapter 2

The next day at work, Eric showed up bright and early only to pause at the sight of Mathew.

"Whoa, I'm guessing I don't want to know what happened to you." he simply said getting an annoyed side-eye.

"No, you don't." he gritted out but like anticipated, Mathew proceeded to rant anyway. "I can't believe my parents! I mean where do they get off treating April like she's not their daughter just because of a scandal that wasn't even her fault!?" he raged.

"They're still hung up on that?" asked Eric surprised.

He thought that after the world saw Derek's true colours, things would've had a chance to get better.

"They never stopped. I just wish I could leave this crap behind." he sighed.

"You can though." reminded Eric as they walked.

"Yeah, but I'd feel bad leaving you in this hell alone."

"Don't, it's not like I intend to stay. I can't be a major player in an industry I hate." he simply said as they entered his office.

"True, but this feels so random."

"Maybe, but you're not the only one looking for something new, for new meaning in life than what you once knew. Everyone is still growing and looking. So, don't limit yourself." reassured Eric.

"Alright, thanks."

After a lot of thinking, Mathew eventually decided to help April do the album. So, while he was getting reacquainted with the violin, she was reviewing the lyrics.

"I'm surprised you didn't use these songs at your old label," commented Mike after they had taken a break.

"I was never allowed to." she simply said surprising him. "I was just a product like my songs. A good selling one until the scandal. After that, my label didn't want to deal with me unless I apologised, so I left." she explained. "Never did I expect to fall on you who would sacrifice your entire career for me."

"I didn't sacrifice anything though." he simply said surprising her at her turn.

"Really?" she asked dubiously.

"Yes, just because I come from a family of lawyers doesn't mean I wanted to be one," he replied.

"Then why- you know what, that's a dumb question. Of course, you didn't have a say in the matter, it's just like Eric and Mathew."

"Actually, it's the opposite. My parents never forced me into anything, I just didn't know what to do and chose to be a lawyer to make them proud, then you know the rest."

"So, you chose to leave it behind? Why?" she asked baffled.

"Do I need a reason? I wanted to." he shrugged.

"You wanted to? Are you some kind of angel? No one in their right mind would've done what you've done for me without reason." she pointed out. "I mean, I haven't been the easiest person to deal with for the last three years, and you had to take care of Brandon for plus more."

"Then I guess I'm not like everyone."

"Don't I know it, I'm blessed."

Once they were done reviewing and rewriting, Mike dropped April off home and went home to find his mother in his kitchen.

"Mom? What are you doing here?"

"Mikey, my boy! It's been so long! Come give me a hug!" she exclaimed happily engulfing him in a big hug.

"Missed you too, but seriously, what are you doing here?" he asked as he pulled away.

"Well, your father won't be home much, so I thought I could come to stay with you. You don't mind, do you?"