Chapter 3

A few weeks after her discharge, Heather stayed with her mother to be sure she was well and getting the help she needed before she felt confident enough to leave again.

"I swear I'm fine, Heather," reassured Mrs Nalu for the thousandth time. "You don't have to worry so much, go travel." she pushed.

"Are you sure?" she fretted.

"Yes, I've got the Craig's here if I need them and I'm not helpless." she insisted.

"But-"

"Heather," cut off Mrs Nalu finally getting Heather's full attention. "I'm fine," she reassured. "I understand that you're worried and you have every right to be, but I assure you that I will be fine. I won't allow anyone to hurt me or you anymore, so go live your life," she stated confidently.

"Okay, I'm sorry, I just don't want to abandon you," she replied guiltily.

"You're not," she reassured hugging Heather. "You have to spread your wings one day, and I have to face my fears to find my own way. All this time I stayed with your father because I was afraid, I couldn't make it in this foreign country, but I don't know why, I just had enough and even though it was unfortunate the way things ended, I'm now free." she simply said with a saddened smile. "I'm sorry I wasn't strong enough when you were young to do what needed to be done though."

"Don't apologise, you're the best mother I could ask for," she reassured sinking further into her embrace making Mrs Nalu smile.

"I love you dearly Heather, so go be free," she said softly stroking her hair like she used to.

"Mn, I love you too mom."

After the much-needed discussion with her mother, Heather soon set out to the USA. She felt happy and reassured to see her mom standing strong despite what happened. Then again, she wasn't surprised. Her mother was always the one who would come and comfort her after her father's anger had subsided no matter how beaten she was, she was the one who encouraged her to accept Molly's friendship, she was the one who would shield her, and she was the one who would show her she was loved deeply. When she thought about it, she was blessed with not only her mother's love and protection, but the Craig's that acted as a second family for them both. She could never repay the kindness, but she would definitely try.

On her side, Molly was overjoyed by the great news and reconsidering a few things. All this time she thought that getting the job she wanted was all she needed, but after seeing how empty and boring her life got now that Heather wasn't at her side her eyes were opened to make her realise that having the perfect job wasn't what she really desired.

"Am I being too picky?" she asked her mother after returning home for some much-needed company.

"No, dear, the perfect job is not all there is to life," she reassured.

"Then what?" she pushed frustrated.

"What is it that your heart desires?" asked her mother softly.

"Well, I thought it was the job, but I guess I was wrong."

"It's not that you were wrong, your desires just changed over time," explained Mrs Craig patiently. "The way I see it, you want companionship." she pointed out making Molly freeze.

"Yes, but...." she trailed off before sighing. "Mom, he's in LA, isn't it ridiculous to leave everything behind for a man?" she asked frustrated.

"Honey, it's not ridiculous to do things for love. I was once going to be a neurosurgeon, but because of one accident, suddenly I couldn't be a great doctor like my parents were. It was then that I had to truly find what made my life worth it, and what I found was that having a family was what really mattered to me. It's also why I chose to be a housewife. I wanted to be sure I was there for my family, unlike my own mother. So, if your heart is telling you that being with the one you love is what you desire, then don't ignore it. You can work anywhere in the world." she reasoned.