Chapter 5- The snake

Ari fidgeted with her robe as she took a few steps out from the Arithmancy classroom.

"What class do you have next ms. Coyet?" Tom asked her, and she reluctantly met his eyes.

"Ancient runes" she answered, "And it's Ari". The corners of his mouth twitched slightly.

"You can call me Tom as well" he told her, which made her squint her eyes. What was with him and being so polite when they were the same age.

"I noticed you performed nonverbal magic back in the classroom. Is that something taught at Drumstang?" He asked her.

It took her a moment to remember how she had helped Jack with his notes and looked at Tom suspiciously. He had been watching her "No, I taught myself" she said.

"How impressive, Ari" he said, and her name pronounced on his tongue made her shiver.

She suddenly stopped in her tract "I never told you I went to Drumstraug"

"No you didn't" he said and kept walking like it was no big deal.

She took a few fast steps to catch up with him. "Are you...spying on me?" She spat.

He chuckled. "I have my ways. Besides, you intrigue me"

She had no words. Why did she have such bad luck? The one person she had decided to avoid, had decided to do the opposite towards her. She genially hoped that he would stop here, she was not that interesting after all. As she schemed how to make herself even more uninteresting, she noticed how Tom had stopped outside a classroom and gestured for her to walk in.

"Thanks" she breathed and walked into the classroom. Yet again, they were the first ones there. She heard him walk through the door beside her. Of course, they share this class as well. She clenched her jaw and chose a seat in the back. She did not want to give him a chance to watch her this time.

He sat down beside her, and she could not stop herself from turning her head and look at him in disbelief and irritation.
"What are you doing"

He looked at her and tilted his head "sitting down, of course"

How she wished he was ugly.

She decided against arguing with him and turned towards the front of the classroom, where their teacher professor Bathsheba Babbling had walked in. Soon the classroom filled up with students.

Ari saw Tom's friend group walking in and take their seats, throwing the pair curious looks.

Ari avoided Tom's stare and tried her best to concentrate on Professor Babbling. She appointed them with ruins that they were to translate, in seated pairs.

Although she found Tom both disturbing and annoying, she had to admit that the boy was talented. As soon as they had started working, Tom lost his mischievous grin and replaced it with a serious face.

He was even more handsome when he was serious. S**t.

Of course, they were the first pair to finish the assignment. Ari reluctantly admitted to herself that Tom had contributed even more than she had.

As they left the classroom, Ari felt instant relief when she saw her small squirrel friend waiting outside.

Tom bid the girls goodbye and started walking away.

"Omg are you guys friends now?" She squealed.

"No way" Ari answered and snorted. Kat looked puzzled, probably wondering why her friend was so against the beautiful genius that she, herself, admired. Tom's academic achievements were no secret in Hogwarts.

Kat brushed off her train of thoughts and grabbed Ari's hand, dragging her towards the great hall. Georgia and Stella were already waiting, Stella at the Ravenclaw table and Georgia at the Hufflepuff.

Kat reluctantly let go of Ari's hand and joined Georgia. Ari sat down in between Stella and Elizabeth. "Where is Helen" she asked. "Don't know" Elizabeth replied "But more importantly, what's going on between you and Mr. snake?" Elizabeth continued while gulping down some pumpkin juice.

Ari heard someone choking, and turned to look at Jack who held a napkin against his mouth. "Snake?" She questioned.

"Tom Riddle" Stella explained "It's all anyone has been talking about! Is it true that he escorted you, and even sat next to you in class?" She continued.

"I have never even seen that snake even look at a girl before" Elizabeth stated, clearly unimpressed with the star pupil.

"Nothing is going on" Ari said a bit irritated. It was exactly this type of attention she wanted to avoid. She looked meaningly at Elizabeth. Snake might be a good way to describe him.

"Really? So you don't like him or something?" Jack said warily.

"No" Ari stated. "Not in the slightest" She turned towards the Slytherin table, only to see his friends without him. When she thought about it, she hadn't seen him at breakfast either. Does he not eat?

Not that she had been looking for him.

She turned back to her housemates. "What classes do you guys have in the afternoon?" She asked them.

The rest of the day went by rather quickly. First, she had transfiguration with Professor Albus Dumbledore, and to her delight, both Stella, Elizabeth, and Georgia shared that class with her. So far, it might have been her favorite class. Partly because it was snake-free.

Her last class for the day was care of magical creatures with professor Silvanus Kettleburn. She shared that class with Helen, while the rest of her friends had Muggle studies. Ari who herself was quite unfamiliar with muggles questioned what was so interesting about them.

"Hey Helen" she greeted the girl, who nodded in response. They sat beside each other in comfortable silence throughout the class. Ari was right in her first impression, she did indeed like Helen. The class passes quite slow. Maybe magical creatures were not her thing.

As the class ended, Ari and Helen walked back to the Ravenclaw common room and Ari felt confident that she would be able to find her way back there by herself next time.

Ari found that this was a perfect time to continue reading since it was unlikely that Helen would want to chat.

A few minutes later Stella walked in to retrieve something from the dorm, before announcing that she was heading towards the library. Ari took the opportunity to follow her there.

As they walked into the library Ari heard someone call her name, and turned around.

—————————-
A/N

Hi!

Who do you think called Ari?

And how do you feel about Helen? Quite an introvert, even more than Ari. But where was she at lunch?

Have nice Day!

-Naomi