Chapter 13- Persuasive

Ari's mind went blank as Tom's lips crashed onto hers. His lips felt cold, and for a moment they both sat absolutely still. She felt Tom's stiff body start to relax, as he carefully placed one hand behind her neck. He withdrew his face slowly, and she opened her eyes to look at him. She never even realized they were closed. 

Tom looked... confused? His eyebrows were knitted and he stared into her eyes accusingly. "Tom" She breathed. His name seemed to take him out of his trance and he immediately backed away from her. 

"I'm" He started, and cleared his throat, averting her gaze. She blinked a couple of times trying to get her thoughts together. "Tom" She said again, this time with a bit more confidence. He turned to look at her, his face in the same confused expression. 

"It's okay" She told him, although she was not sure what she referred to. Was she okay with him kissing her? Or did she think it was okay that he seemed to change his mind about it? She felt something heavy settle in her chest, and her eyes started to burn a bit. 

"I should leave" she stated and got up from the couch and headed for the door. She was stopped by Tom grabbing her hand. She blinked a couple of times before turning to look at him.

 "Stay" he demanded, and she felt a wave of emotion wash over her. "Why?" she asked him and tried to look as expressionless as she could, unsure how well she managed. "Tom why did you kiss me?" she asked. He met her eyes "I felt like it" he answered, and she gritted her teeth in frustration, and jerked away her hand from his grip. 

"You felt like it? Well, I feel like leaving." she burst, and once again headed for the door. This time, Tom blocked her path by standing in front of the door instead of grabbing her hand. 

"You didn't like it" He stated, and she crossed her arms over her chest. Suddenly she felt very self-conscious realizing she was still only wearing Stella's dress. "Didn't like what? You suddenly declaring that I'm your property, kissing me, or regretting kissing me?" She asked sarcastically and felt her cheeks heat up a bit. 

His confused expression turned even more confused if that was even possible. "I never said I regretted it" He stated dryly. "Did you?" she demanded. He seemed to think for a moment. "I don't know". He answered sincerely, earning a frustrated groan from Ari. 

"Well figure it out, and let me leave". She tried to push him away from the door, but instead, he grabbed her hands and pressed them to his chest. "You're confusing." He stated, and she could hear some frustration in his words. "I'm confusing? Me?" she practically shouted at him and tried to remove her hands from his grip. "Yes" he answered, tightening his grip on her hands. 

She did not like the way he caused her to lose her cool. "I don't understand why you're acting like this!" He told her and she searched his eyes for any sign of arrogance but instead found him truthful. She took a breath and tried to collect herself. 

For being so smart, he sure was stupid.

"You like me" He stated. She just stared at him. "Excuse me?" she answered and felt her head starting to ache. "Do you not?" he asked. "Do you? Need I remind you that you were the one to kiss me, not the other way around". she accused, and he thought for a moment. 

"I don't know" He said dryly. She felt a laugh bubble up "Again, you don't know?" she asked, more as a statement than a question. He nodded and looked a bit frustrated. What in the world did he have to be frustrated about? 

"Then what do you know Tom" she mumbled, feeling a bit too drained to even get offended anymore. He looked into her eyes and seemed to think about what she said a bit too seriously. 

"You intrigue me. I find myself wanting you by my side." he said and she tried really hard to understand him. "But you don't know if you like me?" he paused for a moment before nodding.