Chapter 21- Unforgivable, abomination

The library was almost empty, say for Ari and the librarian and a few scattered students. This might be explained by the fact that it was an early Saturday morning, and not exactly in close proximity to any examination. Still, Ari was a bit surprised, but mostly pleased, to find herself surrounded by a comforting silence.

After finding a copy of Advanced Potion-Making, Ari sat down at a table partly concealed by bookshelves. She continued to flip the book open. Potions had never been her favorite subject, still she did not see that as a reason not to master it. Neither would her grandfather.

Engrossed in the fine-print of the recipes of everlasting elixirs, Ari had not acknowledged the time pass. She had also not noticed the presence of somebody lurking close to her. That is until said someone sat down at her table right in from of her. Her eye flickered up to meet his, already fixated at her.

He smiled, propped his elbows on the table, resting his face in his hands. "What are you studying for?" He asked. "Alvin" She said surprised. "That's correct" He retorted. She was unsure whenever to feel unconformable or calm in his presence. They weren't exactly friends, but he and Tom were sort of Friends. And she and Tom were.. something.

Suddenly she remembered their interaction during the Quidditch game. "Hey, was there something you wanted to say during the game?" She asked, and he momentarily looked confused, before realization dawned upon him. "No, but Riddle did. Didn't you see him?"

Now it made sense how he was waiting for her, like he knew she was about to walk in. "I see" She smiled. "So, we're meeting today again" He told her, and she felt something drop in her stomach.

She had agreed to come to these meetings, but she couldn't shake the feeling of the guilt she had since the last meeting where Lestrange, Dolohow, and Malfoy had become victims of her rage. Even if they deserved it to some degree, she did not like that part of her.

She felt different now, with her friends by her side. Real friends. She didn't want to be the dangerous loner anymore, only approached with admiration, fear or deceive. She wanted to be just Ari.

But then there was Tom. Although, some part of her wished, even hoped, they could be just Ari, and just Tom. She knew they would continue to be the Boy who could not Love, and the foolish girl that stayed by him. Still, hope was hard to get rid of once it manifested.

"Ari?" Alvin said, and she noticed that his smile had faltered somewhat. Her face must be showing more of what she was feeling than she realized. She straightened up and plastered on a smile "What time?" He gave her an understanding smile.

"Don't worry about those guys, they had it coming! And I assure you, they are completely fine now." He raised his eyebrow slightly. "Unfortunately." He added.

Ari snorted. "Are they not your friends?" Alvin chuckled. "I would not describe our relationship as friends, no." Ari tilted her head slightly. "Then how would you describe it?" Alvin stood up.

"I don't know exactly, but not friends. And to answer your earlier question, now" Ari blinked in surprise, and soon realized he meant the time for the meeting. She picked up her book and walked with it over to it's place on the shelf, Alvin waiting for her.

They walked side by side though the school, getting eyed by quite a few students on their way. "Are you sure it's a good idea to go this time of day? Someone might follow us" He winked at her and threw an arm over her shoulder. Before she had an opportunity to protest, he had guided her into a secluded corner, and threw a piece of fabric over them.

Soon it dawned on her "An invisibility cloak?" She whispered to him. "Noting gets past you" He teased, and she elbowed him in the rib. "It's woven from Demiguise hair, I got it from my father last year" He explained.