Prologue

A lot could happen in three years. Too much almost.

As soon as Armin left, I took time to heal my aching heart. I spent time with the girls and even more time with Eren which was a surprise. He and I had gotten a lot closer in the years that Armin was gone. We still had our jokes but we understood each other a lot better, even hung out together which we'd never do before.

The first year seemed to drag by, I was still missing Armin and my heart just couldn't seem to let go. I tried to move on, I really did but every person I tried to fill that void with just didn't make the cut. It was like no one would ever live up to him and what he meant to my heart.

I had casual hookups from time to time at parties but it was never anything more. I was never ready for anything more. When you love someone as much as I loved Armin, I don't think anything could replace that feeling he brought me.

The first year wasn't all bad though, I'd worked on myself a lot more. I dropped grudges against people, more specifically Jean. We had a class together and by a stroke of luck managed to get partnered up on a project. At first, I was pissed off at the circumstances but we talked things through, made amends with our rocky past.

I was glad we could move forward, Jean was a good person, I'd always known that. He made awful decisions but back then he was young and immature. He needed to seriously work on himself which I can gladly say he did. He and I quickly became quite close. Nothing ever stepped past the boundary of friends though, we made sure of it.

Eren and Mei were also going strong. Eren got her a little promise ring, much like the one Armin got me. It hurt to see them living out the reality I wish I had with Armin but I was happy for them.

Sasha and Niccolo also still had a solid relationship and Connie remained single. Poor boy just could find the right girl. Mikasa talked to Nathan for a bit but nothing really came of it. I assumed they just hooked up and called it but she said they were still friends. Annie was in the same boat as Connie... single. Couldn't say I was mad about that though, I was just waiting for the moment to snatch her up.

The only other significant thing the first year held was my relationship with Armin. We still kept in contact with each other, face timed at least once a week, and would message all the time. We were still just friends though.

He was having a great time in England, his place looked nice and he spoke about a lot of new people he'd met in class. I enjoyed hearing about it all.

As hurt as I was for majority of the year, it was good. I was good.

In the second year, things got a bit rough. Armin had met a girl, one that was soon to be his girlfriend. I couldn't even explain the pain I felt. I was happy for his happiness, yes, but I still couldn't shake what I felt.

It wasn't even the fact he'd moved on that hurt the most though, it was that our communication was broke. It was never really said why we stopped talking but I figured his girlfriend didn't want him talking to his ex all the time.

She was pretty. I hated to admit that. She also seemed nice from what Eren told me about her. I tried to keep my nose out of his business but when he'd post pictures of them and I had Eren in my ear, it was hard.

It wasn't bad however, I was finally able to fully move on. With Armin having a girlfriend, there was nothing to run back to. With no communication, my feelings would die down which they did after a painful six months.

In that time, I took a step back from social media, stopped posting and going on so much. I focused on my school and work until memories of Armin just seemed to fade. Well not really fade, more so I locked them away in my mind. A box that was ready to be opened when the time arose.

My father was also a big part of making me feel better. He'd bring me gifts and snacks when I was at work to cheer me up or invite me over for dinner on nights he knew I'd be alone. Who knew I'd be awarding him father of the year?

He also introduced me to this psychotherapy place that he was going to for counseling. It wasn't for me to see a therapist like him but for me to take on an apprenticeship. I was working to become a therapist so the opportunity was perfect. With a few interviews, I eventually got the position. It was a 6-month program so I ended up quitting the café to give it my full attention.

It was my last year of college before I graduated so the position held the chance of a full-time position at the end of it. They basically told me the job was mine after my first three months. I really fit in there.

I met a lot of new people there, one of my favorites being a boy named Colt. He was blonde and had the prettiest hazel eyes. He was also one of the sweetest people alive. Being a full-time staff member there, he basically taught me everything I needed to know.

Our relationship was friendly for the majority of my time there. We would flirt occasionally but at the time I still wasn't ready for anything new. I was also still in school and wanted to focus on that and not a relationship. Colt respected the boundaries I set and waited for me to come to him when I was ready.

When I finally graduated, I took the full-time position. I was given my one office and everything, life was great. I no longer thought about Armin much or what he was up to. I'd still hear about him from Eren but I was so focused on myself to care.

It was a shame really, to have not only a relationship but a friendship end so tragically. It wasn't my fault though, he stopped talking to me which was his decision. Whether he'd live to regret it or not didn't concern me.

Also after graduation, Connie, Sasha, and I moved out of our apartment. Connie and Sasha got another one together and invited me but I was looking to live alone. I wanted to experience some sort of independence. At first, I didn't have the money to afford one all by myself yet so my dad let me stay with him for about six months.

I got to watch Amalie and Ambrose grow right in front of me which was crazy. Amalie was still sweet as ever and Ambrose matured a bunch. He wasn't such an annoying asshole anymore.

By pure coincidence, Ambrose was actually really good friends with Falco who was Colt's brother. They were the same age and in the same class so it made sense. Ambrose also met a girl named Gabi who was... quite the character. She was nice but very strong-minded.

After my sic month pick me up, I found an apartment I liked and moved into it as soon as possible. I felt so grown up it was crazy. I had a new fancy job, an apartment to myself, and a car. Finally, I had a car to myself and no longer relied on others to drive me places. I was living in absolute freedom.

I don't know at what point during all that, that I decided I was ready to move on but I was. I started to take things with Colt more seriously. He took things slow with me. I told him about Armin and our whole relationship so he understood my feelings.

And after a long time, the wall of ice I surrounded myself in finally started to melt. My heart was slowly falling in love with another soul. While my heart would always hold Armin close, I also couldn't deprive myself of being happy again. If Armin was allowed to move on, why shouldn't I?

The first little while of our relationship was slow, we never had sex till a little later on which was nice. It gave us time to really get to know each other first. I was so consumed in my new life and new relationship that I forgot it had been three years already. I even forgot that Armin would be coming home soon.

I wish I was prepared for the storm that was soon to come.

~

Our baby y/n is all grown up:(

I'm super excited to write this since its going to me some manipulative Armin which is ughhhh! How is he going to like seeing y/n with Colt? Will y/n even be ready to forgive him for pushing her to the side? 

I'd also like to give credit to "mentallystableX_X" (it's not letting me tag for some reason) for the suggestion! I fell in love with the title right away since y/n and Armin's relationship has become rocky like the clashing of tides due to the time away so it PERFECT! I would also like to thank everyone else for their suggestions, they were all so amazinggg! 

Now onto the beginning of the story:)