Chapter Seven

Nathaniel Aecroston

August 3rd, 12:03 PM

After the tour of Ataven's Palace was over, Nathan was once again locked away in the cell within Vincent's room. This time, however, he wasn't chained to the bar on the wall. Instead, his wrists were cuffed together behind his back, leaving him some freedom of movement. No words were spoken between them as this occured. And, once more, the door closed, shrouding Nathaniel in what felt like eternal darkness.

. . .

3:16 PM

Nathan had gotten sick of sitting in the dark. He now stood, pacing the length of his room, counting his steps. To get across the room, it took him five steps one way, and 3 steps the other way. He continued to retrace his steps around the room, deep in thought as he counted under his breath.

"1... 2... 3..." He changed directions. "1...2...3...4...5..."

This continued for some time. All the while Nathaniel's head was full of thoughts. All he could do was think, really. Think, and pace. He thought about Collin, wondering if he was grieving or preparing to seek vengeance. He thought about his poor mother, and how she was handling herself after the attack. He thought of Samuel, who would soon join him in this hellish place. He wondered if Samuel would be separated from him, if he would be kept alive, or done away with quickly. And finally he thought of his father.

Had he even noticed his absence? Would he care?

With that final thought, Nathan slid down to the floor, closing his eyes to eventually be greeted by the embrace of a deep sleep.

. . .

5:39 PM

When the door was flung open again, the light flooding in briefly blinded Nathan. He had no idea how much time had passed.

"Up." The command was barked at him from a familiar voice.

Nathan obediently stood, his knees shaking as he tried to balance. He was barely awake. "Come, Nathaniel." His eyes focused little by little, and he could make out Vincent's outline in the doorway. He moved towards him, steadying himself. Vincent caught his arm, impatient as usual.

There were two servants waiting there for him. He recognized Rosemary from the previous day, and the other was a male servant he hadn't met. "Clean him up. Something more formal. We have an important meeting today." Vincent quickly removed the handcuffs from Nathan's wrists, pushing him towards the servants. "Do not keep me waiting." Vincent exited the room, slamming the door behind him.

Nathaniel looked to Rosemary, and she forced a smile onto her face, one that didn't reach her eyes. "Hello again." She gently took his hand in hers. "Don't worry, sire, we'll take care of you." She brought him to sit on the bed, and the boy brought over a bowl of water.

Nathan was silent as she used the water to wash his face, and fix his hair, as it had become frizzy and wildly out of place. The water was cold as it dripped down his chin. "Has he been treating you kindly, Nathaniel?" Rosemary spoke up again, sheepishly. He looked up at her and raised an eyebrow. "Certainly not... But he's not being as horrible as he could be. Which... I'm not understanding."

"Prince Vincent is certainly a two sided coin." Rosemary turned away from him, placing the wet rag back in the bowl. She spoke quietly to the boy, pointing to the door. He nodded quickly, hurrying out the door with the water bowl in hand. She turned back to Nathan now, he couldn't read her expression.