Chapter One

Nathaniel Aecroston

August 1st, 9:10 AM

Nathaniel knelt at the foot of the throne. His eyes were cast downwards, head bowed in the presence of the king. He could almost feel the chill of the eyes that glared coldly at him. "You requested to see me?" Nathan whispered this sheepishly, not daring to look up.

"Are you so lowly that you will not meet the eyes of your own father?" A booming voice answered him. Nathan winced, and his gaze instantly snapped up to meet those unforgiving blue eyes. "Much better. Now, stand up boy." There was spite in his voice, but Nathan stood nonetheless, albeit slowly. His shoulder ached from where one of the guards had grabbed him. His left hand balled up against his side.

"Sir Edwards informed me that you attempted to run away again last night." Nathan's hand flew instinctively to his injured shoulder. He dropped his gaze ever so slightly. Guilt flooded his brain. "What will it take for you to learn your place? You belong in this castle. You are a prince. Princes do not mingle in the streets among the rats and peasants. Do you hear me, Nathaniel?" There was a ferocity within his words that was hardly hidden, one that caused Nathan's face to flush red.

"I... I understand. It will not happen again. I promise... sir." Nathan stumbled over his words, avoiding the eyes of his father completely. There was a long, drawn out silence. His face was burning with embarrassment, and every movement caused his left shoulder to ache. "I... if you will excuse me, sir." He took a step back from the throne, his eyes flitting to the door.

"Go. Remember what I have said to you. Do not disobey me again. There will be... consequences." The king drawled at him, pointing a calloused hand towards the door. Nathan bowed, scurrying out of the room like a startled mouse. The door slammed shut behind him. Once he was alone in the hall, he let his face heat up, his eyes blink rapidly, and let the tears fall freely. He did not bother to wipe them. A short whimper briefly escaped his lips. He bit down on them in embarrassment.

Nothing he ever did pleased his father. No matter how smart or clever he was. It was never enough. But he could not leave. No matter how many times he tried, he failed again and again. Sir Edwards was always there to catch him, rough him up, and teach him a lesson. And most importantly, bring him back to this cursed castle. Nathan grabbed his bruised shoulder, grimacing in pain.

No, Sir Edwards would not catch him next time. He swore on it.

Leaning back against the stone wall, he finally wiped his tears away. He regained control of his breathing, raising a hand to smooth out his hair, then his tunic. Nobody could ever see him like this. Imagine what they would say. The things they said about Prince Nathaniel were bad enough now, they did not need more fuel for the fire.

He gently sniffled, pushing himself off the wall and picking up his posture. He was a prince, after all. He had to look presentable.

Wringing his hands, Nathan headed towards the north tower. It was still early morning, the sun filtered in through the stained glass windows of the palace. Gold and green, the colors of the Aecroston flag.

He was supposed to meet Collin in the courtyard at noon to work on his fencing skills. That gave him three hours of peace.

Nathaniel trudged up the stairs of the north tower, or as he called it, Nate's Tower. The only place in this castle he ever truly felt at home in. Upon reaching the top of the stairs, there was a small landing, with a rope ladder that led up to a wooden trapdoor. A small smile tugged at the prince's lips as he climbed the ladder, pushing the door up and propping it open so he could pull himself up into his room. He pulled the ladder up, closing the door so no one could interrupt him.