Chapter Four

Nathaniel Aecroston

August 2nd, 4:07 PM

Nathan jumped as the stagecoach jerked to a stop, slamming his head on the back of the seat. He couldn't see, but he knew it was safe to assume they had arrived at their destination. The ride had lasted way too long and it had been deadly silent. The tension could have been cut with a dagger.

"My liege, should I pull around to the back entrance?" An unfamiliar voice spoke from the front of the coach. The driver, he assumed.

"No, this is fine. Thank you, Harold." Vincent spoke next to him, and a moment later his vision was restored as the blindfold was removed. Nathan's gaze snapped over to his captor, and he immediately scooted farther away from him.

"You act as if I have the bubonic plague." Vincent glared at him for a moment, before turning towards his door and pushing it open. He stepped down, motioning to someone that Nathan couldn't see. "Fetch the prince, if you will. If he resists, you have my permission to use force." The door slammed shut and Nathan's door opened.

A castle guard stepped halfway into the coach, holding out a hand to Nathan. "Come with me, your highness." The voice was quiet, but firm. Knowing he couldn't resist, Nathan allowed the guard to take his hands, stepping down out of the stagecoach with his assistance. The guard untied his hands, tossing the rope back into the coach.

"I suggest you comply, if you know what is good for you." The helmeted guard warned him, twisting Nathan's arms behind his back and pushing him towards the entrance of the castle. Vincent led the way.

Nathan scowled as he was guided into the castle, dropping his gaze to the floor. His mind was running a mile a minute. When he said he wanted to leave his castle, he didn't mean like this.

They entered the throne room, and Nathan finally raised his eyes. Only one of the two thrones were occupied. The king of Ataven was perched on his golden throne. Nathan couldn't hide the disgust on his face, and the king couldn't hide the excitement on his.

Vincent removed his helmet, taking a knee before his father. The guard twisted Nathan's arm, shoving him to his knees as well. "You arse." He growled, struggling slightly against the hands that held him. "I kneel before no foreign king!" He spat, his words laced with venom.

The king hardly flinched, but Vincent did. The guard knelt beside him, whispering in his ear. "That was a terrible decision."

Vincent rose, blocking Nathan's view of the king. "Father, the youngest prince of Aecroston. I apologize for his... arrogance." There was a noticeable hint of annoyance in the elder prince's voice. Nathan wasn't sorry.

"It is quite alright, Vince. Take him down to the dungeons." The old king motioned to the door, giving a warm smile to his son. Well... that was something Nathan had never seen before.

As the guard pulled Nathan back to his feet, he grit his teeth as a searing pain spread from his shoulder to his back. The abuse he suffered from Sir Edwards was still extremely evident.

"Actually, father, if you would allow it, I would like to keep him in my wing of the castle. They say it is important to get to know your enemy." Vincent's voice was flat, nothing about it seemed sincere to Nathan. The king even raised an eyebrow in suspicion. But the king couldn't deny Vincent, not when he was still proud of the small victory he had achieved today.

"I suppose there is no harm... but do keep a close eye on him. You know how those Aecrostonians are." The king dismissed them with a wave. "Go on now. Keep me updated on the interrogation, Vincent."