Chapter Two

Nathaniel Aecroston

August 1st, 11:56 AM

Nathaniel pulled his leather shoes back on to his feet, rolling out of bed with a soft groan. The sun was higher in the sky now, it was nearly noon. If he didn't hurry, he was going to be late for his lesson with Lord Collin. He opened up the trapdoor, not even bothering to cast down the rope- he simply leapt down. He landed roughly, but on his feet, and his shoulder began to ache once more from the force of his landing.

"Damn you Edwards," Nathaniel murmured, gently rubbing his shoulder as he began his quick descent down the spiral staircase. At the first turn in the stairs, he slammed face first into metal armor. He jumped backwards, slowly looking up and meeting the steely gray eyes of Sir Edwards. Before he could move back any farther, the knight grabbed him by the arm, glaring down at him.

"That is no way for a prince to speak," Sir Edwards snapped, "I heard your comment. Apologize. Now."

Nathan bit his lip, forcing the whimper that was rising in his throat back down. "I.. I'm sorry.." He whispered, trying to step back from him, but Edwards pulled him right back. Why couldn't he have one day without this?

"Sorry, who?" Edwards snarled, raising his hand threateningly. There was no mercy when it came to Sir Edwards, and Nathan knew that.

"I'm sorry, sir, I'm sorry." Nathan wasn't able to hold back his whimper this time, closing his eyes and bracing for some sort of physical punishment as he shrunk backwards. But for now, nothing came. Hesitantly, he opened his eyes to see Sir Edwards smirking triumphantly at him. His heart pounded rapidly in his chest, his hands shook wildly.

"You will learn to obey and respect me. Now, I believe you have a fencing lesson with Lord Collin in the courtyard. I am here to escort you there. Come along, boy." Edwards grabbed him by the elbow, leading him quickly down the stairs. Nathan stumbled every couple of steps, unable to properly keep up with the much larger man.

Nathan was weak-- physically and mentally-- Sir Edwards had seen it from the very start. He was not as brave or strong as his older brothers. Sir Edwards had been using and abusing him since he became a teenager. There was no one to help him, so the knight had beaten him into submission long ago. No one batted an eye because Sir Edwards was very good at covering his tracks. Nathan was alone in his struggle. He felt like a chess pawn.

As they were approaching the bottom of the staircase the hand on his arm moved to his back, and with a forceful shove Nathan stumbled down the remaining 5 stairs. He crumpled to the ground, every muscle in his body screaming in agony.

A sharp pain jolted up Nathan's spine, and he groaned. "You bastard!" The prince shouted, not caring of the consequences now. He sat up as much as he could, wincing in pain with every movement. As he was attempting to sit up, the knight's foot slammed into his side, sending him sprawling back to the ground.

"Watch your mouth." Edwards growled, before offering a hand down to Nathan. "Get up."

Nathaniel slowly turned his gaze up towards the knight, his face going as pale as a piece of parchment paper. He felt bile rising up in his throat, and he swallowed it back down. He stared at the hand offered to him, hesitating briefly before accepting it.

Edwards pulled him up roughly, not bothering to be gentle with the battered prince. Nathan winced with every movement. His shoulder hurt, and his ribs hurt worse. "I'm sorry." He wheezed, pulling his hand away from the knight. He didn't mean it, but it was worth a try.

"Do not lie to me. You are only sorry because you got hurt. There is no real sympathy." Edwards's expression was deadpan and his voice was monotone.