Chapter Three

Nathaniel Aecroston

August 2nd, 1:25 PM

Nathan snuggled back into the strong arms that held him, shivering slightly as the wind picked up. "It's a rather blustery day today." He murmured, looking back at Collin with a soft smile on his lips.

"It is. Are you cold, my love?" The raven haired noble ran his fingers up and down Nathan's bare arms. A chill ran down the prince's spine, but it wasn't a bad feeling. He was alright, which was unusual for him. "No, I'm quite content actually." He was kept cozy and comfortable by the heat of his lover's body. He could stay like this forever.

But of course, Collin was just his dirty little secret. No one could ever know the truth about them. The prince, in love with another man? His father would be outraged. If anyone found out... they would both be in grave danger. But now was not the time to be thinking these thoughts.

"So, when does your sister get back from visiting your grandparents in the country?" Nathan hummed, grabbing Collin's hand and entwining their fingers. His thumb caressed the back of his hand.

"Claire should be back by next week, though she might stay longer. She needed the peace and quiet of the countryside." Collin ran his hand through Nathan's wavy blond hair, placing a kiss on the top of his head. "Can I braid your hair?" There was a hint of excitement in the noble's voice. He loved playing with Nathan's hair, and Nathan loved it just as much.

"Of course you can. You always do so well." The prince grinned, leaning into the hands that now began to skillfully braid his hair. "I learned to braid hair after my mother died. Claire asked me to do her hair every morning. Sometimes I still do it for her, except now I braid flowers into it. She always looks so grown up." Collin chuckled, smiling at the thought of his childhood with his sister. She was 4 years younger than him, 15. She meant the world to Collin, and they had gotten so much closer after their mother died.

"I wish I could be close with my brothers like you are with Claire..." Nathan sighed, folding his hands in his lap. "They don't understand me. They think I'm weird and weak. They hate me. I wish you could see our family dinners. My mother always has to force conversation. On the days when she is absent from dinner, no one speaks a word to me." The prince closed his eyes, leaning into the touch once more as Collin used a ribbon to tie the braid into place.

"You need not worry about them for much longer. Once you turn 18, you and I are getting the Hell out of here. We'll move to the countryside where your father won't ever be able to find us. We can finally be happy together. Just hold on to that for me, okay? We're going to make it just fine." Collin's voice was soothing and genuine. He turned Nathan's head towards him, kissing him with a burning passion. Nathan tangled his fingers in Collin's dark hair, pulling him closer.

In that moment, Nathan felt like everything was going to be okay.

But of course, nothing good ever lasted long for him.

"The castle has been breached!" A guard ran into the garden, and Nathan and Collin immediately separated, both turning red in the face. The guard was unphased.

He grabbed Nathan by the hand, motioning to a patch of moss covering a section of the wall. Nathan knew what lay behind it. The hidden gate. "My liege, you need to flee. They are here for you. Take the garden gate. My Lord, please come with me. We need your help with holding off the advances of the Ataven Army."

The prince's heart began to beat wildly out of control, his head pounding as the guard nudged him towards the mossy chunk of the wall. He reached out for Collin, but the guard continued to push him towards the garden wall. "My liege, I'm sorry, but you have to go." Collin gave Nathan a sorrowful look, before turning on his heel and running into the castle. He should've figured. Collin was fiercely loyal to the crown.