00𝟑. decisions and the sun dude

chapter three
decisions and the sun dude

ZOЁ LED THEM TO THE TENT, waving them inside. Bianca was already there seated next to Artemis. The tent was warm and comfortable which was definitely welcomed because Lennon was still freezing. There was a deer with glittering fur resting its head in Artemis' lap. Looking at it, Lennon had the urge to pet it.

"Join us, Percy Jackson, Lennon Hart," she said.

They both sat across from her, naturally leaving a bit of space between the two of them.

"Are you surprised by my age?"

Lennon slowly shook her head while Percy said, "Uh... a little."

"I could appear as a grown woman, or a blazing fire, or anything else I want, but this is what I prefer. This is the average age of my Hunters and all young maidens for whom I am patron, before they go astray."

"Go astray?" Percy asked.

"Grow up. Become smitten with boys. Become silly, preoccupied, insecure. Forget themselves."

"Oh,"

Absent-mindedly, Lennon wondered if becoming smitten also applied to liking girls.

"Yes, it does also apply to girls," Artemis said as if reading her mind.

Lennon looked up, a bit surprised she knew exactly what she was thinking. "Oh,"

"Lennon, I've heard of you... well, I've heard of all your siblings. My brother is incapable of shutting up,"

Lennon just nodded, not really sure how to respond to that.

Zoё sat down next to Artemis and glared at Percy.

"You must forgive my Hunters if they do not welcome you. It is very rare that we would have boys in this camp. Boys are usually forbidden to have any contact with the Hunters. The last one to see camp..." She looked at Zoё. "Which one was it?"

"That boy in Colorado," she provided. "You turned him into a jackalope.

"Ah, yes." Artemis nodded, satisfied. "I enjoy making jackalopes. At any rate, Percy, Lennon. I've asked you here so that you might tell me more of the manticore. Bianca has reported some of the... mmm, disturbing things the monster said. But she may not have understood them. I'd like to hear them from you two."

And so they both told her. When they were done Artemis put her hand thoughtfully on her silver bow. "I feared this was the answer."

"The scent, my lady?"

"Yes,"

Percy and Lennon both had the same question. "What scent?" They glanced at each other when they said the same thing but turned back to Artemis.

"Things are stirring that I have not hunted in millennia. Prey so old I have nearly forgotten."

She stared at them both intently. "We came here tonight sensing the manticore, but he was not the one I seek. Tell me again, exactly what Dr. Thorn said."

"Um, 'I hate middle school dances'"

Lenon glanced at Percy in confusion.

"No, no. After that,"

"He said somebody called the General was going to explain things to me."

Zoё's face paled. She turned to Artemis and started to say something but Artemis raised her hand. Lennon watched the interaction in confusion.