00𝟕. best pig cowboys of new mexico

seven
best pig cowboys of new mexico

LENNON LOUNGED IN THE BACKSEAT of a beat-up '67 Chevy Impala. She had spent a while in the front seat pretending to drive the car— she was excited to drive okay. But she'd eventually got bored and figured out how to get the radio working and she settled on a 70s and 80s station.

    She played with the light in her hands, singing along to Slipping Through My Fingers by Abba. The light morphed into a ball and she threw it up and then caught it.

    A knock sounded on the window behind her and she sat up, turning around.

    "Can I come in?" His voice was slightly muffled by the car windows.

    Lennon nodded and pointed to the front seat. "Sometimes I wish that I could freeze the picture," She sang along as Percy opened the passenger door, sliding into the seat.

    The Impala only had two rows and there was no split between the seat. The leather seats went all the way across.

    He sat there awkwardly glancing back at her. "Nice singing,"

    "Hmm? Oh, thank you."

    "You're welcome,"

    She looked at him, "Thalia kicked you out of her car?"

    He scratched the back of his neck. "Yeah..."

    Lennon nodded in understanding. He sat there quietly as if he was nervous to be around her, which was weird. Why would he be nervous around her? The silence was throwing her off. Awkward tension hung in the air between them.

    Lennon rested her head on the window behind her and broke the silence. "Y'know, I was mad at you,"

    "What?" He said in a worried voice, looking at her.

    "Back at the cliff, when you said I didn't understand what it felt like to have a friend missing," She looked at him, speaking before he could say anything. "But, I get it. You care about Beth too, and your emotions got the better of you."

    There was a stunned silence.

    "So, uh, congratulations, I guess, for getting me to forgive you without apologizing,"

    The only word Percy could muster was, "um..."

    "No, you should be proud, it's a rare accomplishment."

     The boy blinked. "I'm sorry. I know you already said you forgave me but... I am sorry. I shouldn't have said that,"

    She shook her head. "It's okay." She looked back out the opposite window. Blinking the sleep out her eyes. "Hey, that plan at the museum was really smart,"

    Percy looked at her, a bit confused by all her positive words. "Thanks, I just... I don't know where the idea came from,"

    She nodded a bit, yawning. "You seem like one of those people who comes up with crazy— probably dangerous— plans in the heat of the moment,"

    "...Thanks?"

    Lennon smiled a bit at the way he said it as a question. "You're welcome,"

    He looked back at the steering wheel and then turned completely to ask her something but she was already asleep. Dozing away in the backseat.