00𝟔. houston, we have a problem

chapter six
houston, we have a problem

AFTER THE COUNCIL MEETING, Lennon split away from Lee to find Julian in the strawberry fields. It was where he usually went to relax and Lennon desperately needed his level-headed wisdom.

She couldn't do this. An extraction was one thing, but a quest? She couldn't do that. Lennon still wasn't convinced that she was the right person for the quest. Sure, she fit the prophecy but that didn't mean she was capable. It didn't mean that she would actually contribute to the quest. Her power of light was useless and a mere party trick. Her curse of prophecy hadn't exactly been helpful. All it did was guarantee a future of tragedy.

When she gets to the strawberry fields, Julian is lounging on a lone bench reading his book.

He looked up, "Oh, hey Len. So how was your first council meeting?"

Instead of answering, Lennon dropped down on the bench next to him.

"Was it bad?"

Lennon ran a hand down her face, shaking her head. "No, it wasn't bad. Or, it was as good as it could be considering we were discussing dooming prophecies and whatnot,"

"Then what's wrong?"

Lennon exhaled. She turned to look at her brother. "So after the Oracle's prophecy, they decided Zoë would be leading a quest. Three Hunters, three campers. I'm one of the campers—"

"You're going on a quest? That's great, Len," He bumped her shoulder happily.

With all his enthusiasm, she couldn't help but return it with a weak, shaky smile. "We're supposed to travel west to find Artemis. And, there's the threat of death which is just peachy," she finished, the words were mostly to reassure her.

"Yeah," he nodded slowly. "Death. How very peachy,"

Lennon let out a little laugh, "Well, I'm trying to be optimistic about it,"

"Then, what's wrong? I mean, besides the possibility of death,"

It was a long bout of silence before Lennon finally said, "I shouldn't be on the quest,"

Julian immediately shook his head. "No, you were put on the quest. You deserve it more than anyone. Not to mention, the prophecy. We all heard it, daughter of the sun. That's you!"

She shook her head. He didn't get it. "I'm not good enough for this quest, not capable. What will I contribute?"

Julian frowned, looking at her hard. "Len, look at me," He put his hands on her shoulders, looking her in the eye. "You are more than capable. You're so amazing in so many things. Archery, daggers. You're incredibly honest and persuasive. You quite literally light up any room you're in. Stop second-guessing yourself. Stop doubting yourself."

"But that's what you see. You don't see the version of me that I see. I know who I am and I know that I'll never be good enough for the quest,"

"Len, you're doubting yourself. You'll never see the you that I see because you're so clouded by your own self-doubt. Let it go. Believe you're capable and you are capable. There's only so much I can tell you but you have to see it for yourself."

She looked at him, her eyes starting to get blurry with tears she's been holding back for a while. So she pulls Julian into a hug.

"You are freaking amazing, Julian. You know that?" She held onto him tight, her words slightly muffled by his shoulder.

He chuckled. "Woah there Lennon. That was pretty close to a curse word,"

She hit his back, laughing as a few tears rolled down her cheek. "Shut up, idiot,"