0𝟏𝟓. the art of falling into a hole

fifteen
the art of falling into a hole

LENNON AWOKE TO JULIAN shaking her awake. She shot up, "What,"

"There's an Aethiopian drakon at the borders. Em spotted it. Lee's gonna take a few of us to drive it away,"

Lennon yawned tiredly and said, "Cool,"

They hurriedly strapped on their armor over their pajamas and made the journey to the camp's borders. She frowned at her Looney tunes pants and Queen shirt.

"You think the drakon would be more considerate to attack during the day," Michael said in annoyance as they reached the border.

They could hear the drakon roar again.

"That would be the dream," Lee huffed as he led their group— which consisted of him, Lennon, Julian, and Michael. They were all the oldest of Apollo cabin. Lee was 18, Michael and Emelee were 17, and Lennon and Julian were 15.

"Hey!" Emelee stood at the border. She had been put on patrol that night. "I couldn't do much to ward it off with my sword, that's why I called you guys,"

"Ok," Lee said, turning around to face them. "We'll drive it off with arrows. I don't know how effective it'll be but we'll get to that when we get there,"

They all collectively nodded and then turned to where Emelee pointed. The drakon was a giant bright green creature, somewhat the mix between a snake and lizard but its scales were probably twice as thick. Its eyes were an electric yellow that seemed to follow you wherever you went. It was incredibly unnerving.

Lennon snapped her hair tie and it elongated into a bow. Then they started firing their arrows. Lennon had brought a quiver with her.

"Aim for the soft spots, under its belly, its neck!" Lee said.

"Yeah," Michael shot another arrow. "It's hard to do that when it's so close to the ground,"

The drakon roared in outrage, obviously not liking the fact that they were firing arrows at it.

Julian hummed in agreement. "Especially from the way it's moving,"

"I could go and distract it," Emelee said from behind them, her sword still at the ready.

"No!" All four of them shouted in disagreement.

"Too dangerous," Lee commented.

"I've got an idea," Lennon said as she aimed and shot another arrow.

"If it involves being bait, then no," Lee said.

"No, no. I think I can use my powers to get it to stand up. Then you guys can hit all the chinks in its armor, under its belly,"

"It sounds like that requires you to get close to it," Michael said, disapproving in his voice.

"No, I've been working on something new. I can do it from here,"

"And it's not dangerous?" Lee asked.

"Nope,"

"Then try it,"

"Okay," she exhaled. "When I say go, hit it with all the arrows you've got,"

Her hands shimmered with light and an arrow of light formed in her hands. She aimed right between its eyes. She let the world quiet around her and pulled the bow taut, her thumb reaching her cheek.

Then she let it fly. The arrow hit its target and burst into light. Most likely temporarily blinding the drakon. It roared and reared up on its hind legs, leaving its belly vulnerable. "Go!"