chapter twenty-three

Yesterday went by way too slow.

Seriously, it felt like eternity... torture.

It was the first real day back to college... and there was a lot to do. It's seriously not like the first few semesters. They were fine – everything had been relaxed and you really only had to start worrying when the exams came up. But now... it's only online for now, but there are already a lot of classes again, like these guys have nothing better to do.

I actually had a lot to catch up. I cut myself a bit of slack over the break... and the time before – but now I really have to get back on track. Even if it's online.

So, I actually have been working yesterday – and also today.

Only today is the day Clay and I wanted to meet up again.

I had to postpone our meet-up for some hours, because I realized some of my online classes are actually mandatory and not a 'well-you-can-do-it-if-you-want'.

So today has been even more torture. I've been counting the hours and then later the minutes, until Clay finally could pick me up.

It was in the afternoon at that point, but it didn't matter to us – at least we had some time we could spend together. Clay promised he had something cool in mind for us to do, so my excitement for finally leaving the screen and get into Clay's car was just huge.

"Well, this is a disappointment."

We just both stand there, at the fence, looking at the minigolf course.

I realized where we were going after half the drive. We used to go there – well, that's an overstatement. We went there exactly two times..., but both of these times were just perfect. I'll always remember them.

The first time we went here, it was us three. Clay, Kara and me. We really wanted to go play minigolf just one day – I think it was Clay's idea. So, of course we checked out where the best courses were... and we found this one.

There actually were some other (probably also good) minigolf courses closer to our home, but we decided that we wanted to go to the best one there is. So, we came here.

It was a beautiful sunny day, that day. I can't even remember how many hours we spent at the course – but the park was huge and there were so many people there, so we actually had to wait a lot.

Still, that day will always stay in my memory. It was special. Just us three together, having fun.

Then I went there a second time.

That time, it was only Clay and me.

I don't know it in that explicit way I remember the first time – but I know the circumstances... kind of. I remember that I felt really down that day. I don't know why exactly anymore, only that I were. And... Clay has been there for me. He picked me up and I thought he would just drive us around a bit to talk..., but then we ended up here again. And it seemed like I had just forgotten what my problems were the second we started to play.

So, you could say this place has some sentimental value for me.

Had some sentimental value.

"Clay..., you realize the place is shut down?" I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

"Yeah... I see that." Clay's words are dry and his look is blank.

No, I definitely have to laugh. It just bursts out of me and I can't control it any longer. I have to steady myself by putting my hands on the fence in front of us. "Haven't you checked the website before we went?", I giggle and look towards him.