chapter twenty-nine

It got better.

I mean, this encounter Nick and I shared, will always be burned into my brain – but I don't even want to know how he feels.

But after I dried off (Clay was still laughing as he handed me the towel) and got into my clothes, I decided to just laugh it off – I mean what other choice do I really have? Either that or I'll feel uncomfortable the rest of the week as Nick and I are literally going to be in the same house.

And the first option really seems better.

Still, I waited for Clay before we went into the living room together. I had to box him into the side a few times, so he would finally calm down, but then we joined Nick.

Yeah, it was a bit weird at first, but as I saw some cards lying around on the coffee table, I just decided that we were playing that – and after that it got better.

"I win", I state, collecting the cards grinning. "Again."

"Just because nobody plays it like that – only you."

I snort at Nick's comment but don't care about it. "It's now five to- oh... right... nothing." I look at him, making a sad face, like I care that he totally loses against me.

Clay left an hour ago to build up his setup, but Nick and I stayed – now making the game into a competition. I won every time – and I love winning.

"It's literally just luck", Nick groans as I mix the cards and start handing them out again.

I make a dramatical gasp. "UNO is not just luck. It's about strategy, bluffing and- and passion!"

"What the- It's not even UNO how you play it... you changed the rules to how you like them", Nick mumbles as he picks up the cards I gave him.

I grin internally as I see the 'plus-four'-card on my deck, but give Nick an explanation anyways – even though I don't need to defend myself winning... because it's in my blood. "I actually play the official rules, so..."

Nick looks at me like I lost my mind. "No one... Literally no one plays by the official rules!"

I shrug my shoulders. "I do."

"You're weird."

"Still... it's five to nothing... I'd say you're just jealous." I giggle as Nick shakes his head, but he plays the first card anyways.

"What?! I am not jealous", Nick talks back. "You're just weird."

I laugh as I lay down my card with nothing special happening to the game. "You can't call someone weird, who you just saw naked", I say it, like it's a statement.

As I look up, Nick looks at me kind of disturbed... Oh, too soon?

"That's what it says in the official rules as well, so...", I add, not wanting a strange silence and I grimace.

Nick comes back from his trance, now also slightly grinning. "Yeah, you're weird."

We both chuckle and keep playing the game..., which I win, by the way – of course.

"Boom, loser." I clap my hands, granting myself some applause. "In your face."

"You know", Nick sighs, tilting his head at me. "Right now, I just want to win, because I guess you're a pretty bad loser... so that we're gonna stop playing."

I snort at his comment. I mean, he's probably got a point – but with my lead I don't think it would bother me that much.

"Another round?", I ask, raising my brows.