chapter twenty-eight

I hate him. I hate Clay.

How did this lucky bastard not get sick, and I did?! I've been straight knocked out for almost five days now and he can live his life happily ever after, or what?

Nobody warns you about the side-effects of kisses in the rain. It's all a lie.

Someone might call it an overreaction, but my dislike towards romance just got onto another level as it gave me a cold that just tied me to my bed for the past weekend.

The first three days were the worst. I basically did nothing else than just laying in my bed with a lot of tissues around me. I could have been the basic teenage boy if it weren't for the scarf around my neck and my non-stopping coughs.

I couldn't even do any of my college assignments – even if I wanted to. My brain felt like it's been tormented for eternity, and I couldn't handle anything more than getting up to go to the bathroom and then straight back into bed.

My mom had to take care of me like I'm back to being a preschooler – but she did it without any form of protest. I'm actually convinced she enjoyed being there for me and having me all to herself.

Clay was right what he told me at the minigolf course – I do need to get away from home. I don't even know why I didn't have this urge the second I got the mail telling me my classes are online. It didn't even come to my mind going back to college – I wanted to stay at home. Which, now that I think about it is kind of bizarre and doesn't sound like me at all.

After the first three hard days, it got better. I mean, the weekend had been ruined, but I could get out of bed and walk more distance than only to the bathroom. I actually went outside for walks with my dog and to get some fresh air. Clay wanted to join, but I really didn't want to make him sick, so I told him no.

I still didn't do any college assignments on Monday, but at least watched one class – more or less paying attention. I kind of had to at least do something for a group project. Mostly just setting up some stuff for later to do, but all of the four other people in my group seemed to be incapable of everything. Looks like I have to take the lead once again.

But not yet – I told myself that most of it could wait for after I'm fully recovered. I didn't have any energy left for it anyways, because I used my little regained energy for reading mostly. Not for school – just for fun.

Today's Tuesday.

That information kind of gave me a reality check – I have to go back to college at least next Sunday (if I want to make it back on time for my first normal classes again), which doesn't really give me much time left here. I mean, I want to get away, but it also feels like something is keeping me here.

Another hard punch in the stomach has been Clay telling me that he's leaving on Thursday, because he now really needs to get back to his house for his equipment – making my time with him even shorter.

Just as I think about it again the doorbell rings. I'm the only one home (if you leave out my dog, who's laying with me on the couch), so I have to get the door. With my brother back at his college, my parents at work and me sick at home I now have the duty to cook lunch, walk the dog and occasionally get the door.

I groan, putting away my book and fight my way out of the blanket to get up – not forgetting to pet my dog before I run to the door. This better be something important. I don't want to get up for...

"Clay!" An exhale escapes my mouth. I didn't expect him. "What are you doing here?"

I lean against the doorframe, kind of embarrassed that I must look like a piece of shit – I haven't really showered in days. And he has to look good as always... of course.