Chapter 2, A rainy afternoon

You can make anything magical, if you try.

Sunday is always a chill day, perfect for walks in the warm seasons but this Sunday is rainy. Rain is an essential part of nature, it helps things grow. What does it do for people though? It brings something else to everyone. Some need rest, some need a break and some need to reconnect with themselves.

The rain is lightly knocking on Sybil's window. She left the window open earlier for some fresh air but the sky has several dark clouds on it. Various shades of grey, announcing a stormy afternoon.

Running from her bookshelves, she slowly puts her hand outside. You can't help but want to touch the rain once it starts raining. The droplets fall faster and faster. When the storm is more dynamic than a moment ago, the young witch closes her window.

She spends an extra moment in front of the window. Narrow and broad lines made by fallen droplets. It's like the rain drops are racing to reach the ground.

Following the race with her eyes, Sybil's mind becomes quiet. Funny how the most turbulent storms can bring the most unbreakable states of peace. The night sky and the rain have the gift of calming anyone, either with noise or with silence.

With uncertainty, the witch heads to her kitchen, near her left side. Such a weather doesn't require you to be productive, at least in Sybil's humble opinion. The weather is more suited for getting in touch with your inner self.

From the cabinet above the sink, she takes out a tiny jar, her cocoa jar, then some sweetener.

The shushing noise of the running water is covered by the heavy rain outside, everything feels so peaceful. Once the water is placed on the stove to boil, Sybil looks at her cups.

She closes her eyes for a second and lifts her right hand to place it under her chin. Rainy weather requires a special sort of mug, the biggest one!

Without hesitation, she takes her blue soup mug and starts to make her special hot cocoa recipe. 3 tablets of stevia, 1 teaspoon of cocoa and then...

She turns on her heels to look for her cinnamon and rum essence. The cinnamon is on the fridge, where she forgot it last time she made waffles, but the rum bottle is nowhere to be seen.

With a heavy sigh, she turns to her cup and sees the rum essence near the end of the table. Sybil is a little bit clumsy when she prepares things in her kitchen. Sometimes she leaves tiny packages on the table because they're small, they don't take too much space.

A splash of rum, a bit of cinnamon and then 3-4 tablespoons to combine everything.

The house is filled with light sounds of iron against ceramic from Sybil who whisks her brew's ingredients and the light hitting of the droplets against glass.

Once everything is melted and combined, the witch checks the amount of milk left. Not much, but enough if she adds a little bit more water to her brew.

In 3 short moves, the hot beverage is done and the girl heads towards her bed. She places the cup on a nearby chair and she reaches the bookshelves with big steps.

"Hm..."

Her eyes scan the shelves but no title gives her "choose me" vibes.

Her eyebrows lift a bit and she turns to her left, on a chair, her eco bag is placed. Holding it with one hand and moving things around with the other one, she find it! "The Fury of The God," her new purchase.

The story is about a god of time, Theo, and his black cat, Death. She binge read the first 100 pages so far and she has a soft spot for the god but her favorite character is Hazel, the young witch who is always bubbly an cheerful. She finds her relatable.

Story characters have a unique way of making you find a home in them, don't they? You might like their jokes, or perhaps they have the same difficulties as you, nonetheless, they become a part of you after a while.

With a small smile, she heads towards her bed and grabs the nearest blanket she can see. Covering her legs and opening the book, she takes one last glance towards the window to check the rain. After following a few droplets with her eyes, she starts reading the story and soon, everything becomes silent around her.

Books have that magic, once you give them a tiny part of your attention, they will pay you back with a story that changes a part of you. Every book offers you a lesson, even if you enjoy the book, or not. Same goes for everything, once you exchange a bit of your magic, you'll receive something in return.