Chapter 8, The other half

Everything can become a witch's specialty. If someone loves plants, they become a green witch. Baking and cooking? Kitchen witch!
To be able to do magic means to acknowledge that everything has its own magic.

What's Sybil's specialty? She likes to call it "energy manipulation".

Energy is everywhere, in everyone and everything.

Every once in a while, we all feel a spark to do something in particular. As nerve wrecking as it is, Sybil likes to influence the energy of complete strangers. One tiny gesture or one word is enough to change someone complete.

This morning she has a special meeting. Her friend invited her to hang out in the park. It's been a while since Sybil went out to feed the pigeons, enjoy the lake or forget about time while looking after the ducks that swim freely.

With a heart full of enthusiasm and expectation... She's still in bed, unprepared for the day.

The bed is such a lovely monster. It feeds with your time but it gives you comfort. Sometimes it's a good deal, other times it's not but feeling the blanket on your skin, enjoying the hug of the pillows, just existing, it feels amazing.

***
And now she's late.

The bus is in the distance but Sybil isn't close enough to the stop. The despair kicks in. We're unaware when exactly we get that push, to do something, to change something that can still be changed but when it's in front of you, the switch is faster and easier.

Her legs start to move faster, her breath is... Well, she doesn't pay attention anymore how it is because the bus is going to leave!
***
With a heavy sigh, the doors close behind her.
She made it.

The bus is not too full, yet not too empty either. No sits are available.

Instantly, the wave of warmth is getting over her. She knows that feeling way too well. Something triggered this high awareness in her.

Sybil quickly scans her surroundings once again. Nearby her, there's a boy looking at her.

"He seems to be like a prince," is her first thought at the sight.

The guy has cerulean blue eyes and sandy hair. Charming. Yet, that's not what caught Sybil's attention. It's the way he carries himself. A royal who knows he's good looking and who can handle whatever life throws at him, that confidence is to be envied.

Sybil has many doubts, about herself, about the world, about everything. To see such confidence is something that will always get her attention because we always see what we wish to have.

The bus stops go one by one, Sybil and the young man analyze each other quickly with every chance. Whenever they think the other one isn't looking at them.

The next stop is where Sybil goes down.
Two stops ago she had the feeling of complimenting this guy.

Most people have such feelings. When you see a dress you like, when someone has a nice smile, when the restaurant served you a lovely meal; yet most people never act on these instincts.
It might be self-conscious, fear or the assumption that the other person knows that they're good.

With time, Sybil gave up on the doubts because the look of pure shock and the genuine smile she receives in return, they are the best rewards for complimenting someone.

The bus soon will stop.

She turns to leave and then stops in front of the boy who was sitting two steps to her right.

Like magic, he starts to look at her.

Her mask, luckily, hides her blush. Her voice is surely going to betray her, regardless, she says half of what she thinks.
"I like your vibe!"

The silence is deafening. She wants to say how he makes her think of a fictional character, how he reminds her of a character she once read about in a book she loved, how she hopes he knows that he's unique, yet she cannot say anything more without becoming self-conscious.

Like a doe in lights, she watches how his expression changes from "processing information", to shock and finally, to a smile.

"Such a pretty smile," her last thought as she heads towards the exit.

"Thank you!"

Now that made a smile blossom on her lips.

***
The bus goes away.

Step by step, Sybil heads towards the park.

She feels this ray of sunshine in her heart. She complimented him.
However, she couldn't tell him that he made her think of a fictional character.

"Maybe next time," sighing, she smiles once again.

The sun is delightful today. A perfect day to make someone have a good day with a compliment.