Chapter 6, A Walk Among Fairies

Numb, that's what we all feel sometimes.
Nothing delights us, nothing sparks an ounce of joy, the world and us get further and further apart. Everyone has such days, but today, Sybil feels it.

Letting out a sigh every once in a while, she moves from on side to the other one in her bed. Knees up to her chin, she hugs a teddy with a hand and scrolls with the other one.

Things haven't progressed as she wanted recently. Slowly but surely, that took a toll on her mental health.

Mental health is like a crystal ball, forget to clean it one day and it's already looking too messy for the eyes.

Another sigh. Another hour that passed by.

Time feels too fast, yet too slow.

Scrolling mindlessly on her phone, Sybil has no expression. Frozen in time, she sees her help on the tiny screen.

The witch has the belief that nothing is accidental, ever. You stumble upon what you need, it's you who decides to take it or not.

Her eyes move from left to right as she registers the words. "When you feel depressed, move as soon as possible."

Sounds simple but you can't make yourself move when your mood is down.
Regardless, she feels the tingly feeling in her soul that she needs to move.

"I want ice cream"

She gets up from the bed. With heavy steps, she approaches the wardrobe but stops in front of it. With a quick shift of the heel, she goes in the hallway to get her shoes and hat.

Sybil wears a pair of jeans. She didn't bother change her clothes in 2 days. She didn't feel like doing much recently.
Her upper body is covered by an oversized hoodie.
The hat is supposed to cover the unwashed hair.

Once she is done, she unlocks the door and steps outside.

Sybil feels heavy at the thought of moving but regardless, she locks the door and goes out.

The sun is out. The sunshine rays touch her cheeks as she walks down the street.

The ice cream she wants can be found in only one place, the park. At the exit or entrance, it depends from where you come, there are various stores with snacks and the only ice cream machine in town, it's there.

In the beginning of the walk, she is focused on the way she walks, where she goes but slowly, her eyes want to discover the world around her. What's in the window of that store? What new sales are in the other one? Is there any wind, do the leaves move? How winter-summer like did people dress in this transitory season?

Whenever Sybil walks outside, she feels like the world looks at her in the beginning but as she proceeds to walk further, she is the one peaking around.

Walks can be seen from different angles but it's a chance to take a peak of someone else's world just as you show the world a sneak peek of yours.

Your walk, your clothes, your accessories, your hairstyle, your expressions and the overall behavior, they show who you are. The world is nothing but the sum of tiny worlds that we built individually.

Soon, Sybil reaches to a problem. Which direction to go, the short way and grab ice cream immediately or the long way and enjoy the walk?

Not long before, she started to feel alive again. Hearing the buzz around her made her feel energetic. The wind blowing her hair, the people chatting around the birds flying above her head, all the dogs running in the park and all the pastry scents she felt, they all woke up her spirit.

After a couple of seconds of pondering, she heads towards the long way that goes through the city.

The main street, always busy, always something to see.

She passes by a pie shop.
"I haven't had a pie in a while," she thought as she walked past it.
Instantly, she turns on her heels and approaches the window where you order.

Sybil enjoys cooking but she also enjoys trying out new things.

With her pie in hand, she returns to her quest to reach the entrance of the park.

Only 5 minutes of walking until she gets there.
Once she is in front of the park, time feels frozen and fast moving at the same time in a while new way.

It feels like nature makes its own laws there. This patch of mother nature in the heart of the city is calm but always buzzing. Kids run around, people cycle or train for marathons, some bookwyverns read novels and so many other kinds of people bring their own magic to the table.

Jumping cautiously, a crow approaches Sybil. She was leaving crumbs along her journey.

Picking apart a few pieces, she gives them to the crow.

Animals have their magic, of melting your soul just a little bit. Who can resist sharing a bit of bread with a polite crow?

When the pie was done, Sybil realized she's been smiling for a while now.
She has seen many beautiful things around her on her way to the park. She's near the ice cream machine but she is a different person than when she left to reach the park.

The trees surrounding her feel like a safe home, calming the racing thoughts. The birds awake compassion to share food. The ducks from the lake steal your attention and your anxiety with it. The park is a circus full of performers with the plain goal of taking your worries and giving you a bit of rest and peace.

No price for this either. Perhaps some oatmeal for the ducks, crows and pigeons but that sounds like a good bargain, especially for a witch that feels down.

Grabbing her ice cream, Sybil returns to the park. There's no need to return home yet. She can plan how to fix her problems a bit later. For now, she can walk among the fairies in the park.