Chapter 17

The violent storm tips and tosses the Dawn Treader. The waves thrash against the ship so aggressively, it feels like I'm practically holding in for dear life just to walk down the small hallway connecting our cabins. Eustace has take refuge below deck. I can tell he's terrified, but he's too stubborn to admit to it, much less to be around other people while he attempts to power through.

It's been a week lost in the tempest now. When Edmund said this was about to be an uphill battle, he was right. Drinian and three crewmen man the wheel, struggling to keep their grip in the dense rain. Others actively push and dump water off the deck. By now, we have a sort of system in place; everyone knows their job. However, things are looking hopeless, as we've lost our ability to proceed and the storm hasn't weakened or moved in the slightest in about eight days.

"It seems like the storm is following us," I say, looking out the small windows in Caspian's study.

I remain seated on the small sofa built into the side of the ship under the windows, holding on as the ship rises and falls with the waves.

"It very well may be," Caspian replies.

"Well, we're stuck here," Drinian moves a marker to a spot on the map, "at half rations, with food and water for three more weeks, maximum. This is your last chance to turn back, your majesties."

Drinian looks to Edmund and Caspian, hoping that they'll decide to retreat out of the storm. Caspian looks from Drinian to Edmund, and Edmund keeps his eyes on Drinian as he holds himself steady on the beam above him.

"There's no telling if or when we'll see the Blue Star," the captain says dryly, "not in this storm. Needle in a haystack, trying to find this Ramandu place. We could sail right past it and off the edge of the world."

"Or get eaten by a sea serpent!" Edmund replies, and I can't quite tell if he's joking or serious.

Caspian gives Edmund a look of dissatisfaction as lighting flashes through the window, followed by overpowering claps of thunder.

"I'm just saying," Drinian continues, seemingly annoyed with Ed's statement, "the men are getting nervous. These are strange seas were sailing, the likes of which I've never seen before."

"Then perhaps, Captain, you would like to explain to Mr. Rhince that we're abandoning the search for his family," Caspian stands from his seat next to me and leans over the table, making intense eye contact with Drinian.

I glance at Edmund and he at me as the captain softens his expression in defeat.

"I'll get back to it," he nods to Caspian as he leaves, "just one word of warning: the sea can play nasty tricks  on a crew's mind. Very nasty."

—————

Lucy's POV

I lie in bed with Gael and Y/n, who has decided to stay with us tonight given the severity of the storm. Edmund is also up with Caspian working on who knows what, and I have a hunch she didn't want to sleep alone. Both Y/n and Gael are sound asleep, only moving when the movement of the ship forces them to.

I, however, can't sleep. This last week or so has been awful. Not only have we been stuck in this storm, the boys and Y/n have hardly left their cabins or the study. I've hardly seen Y/n or my brother. Luckily, I have Gael, and she's very good company.

The small lantern swings back and forth in time with the crashing of the waves. The creaking sound of its movement is comforting, but it's just noisy enough to keep me awake. As the squeaking of the lantern grows louder, I suddenly feel the overwhelming urge to get up, and I find myself moving towards the cubby in which I had hidden the page from the spell-book.