Chapter 26

Edmund's POV

Eustace hovers over the Dawn Treader as it draws closer and closer to the island. He had tried to fly away, but Reepicheep had somehow convinced him to come back. Maybe it's the fact that Eustace is a dragon and can't speak, or maybe Reepicheep is rubbing off on him, but Eustace has been...almost enjoyable to have around as a dragon.

We've gathered on deck with the crew, and Caspian stands before us on the stairs to the quarterdeck.

"No matter what happens here," Caspian speaks over us in a kingly manner, "every soul who stands before me has earned their place on the crew of the Dawn Treader."

The green mist billows throughout the black clouds that are beginning to surround the ship as we sail into the Isle.

"Together we have travelled far," he continues, "together we have faced adversity, and together we can do it again. So now is not the time to fall to fear's temptations. Be strong. Never give in."

Caspian makes eye contact with me and nods, and his eyes move across the crew sternly, charging them to hang on to his every word.

"Our world-our Narnian lives depend on it. Think of the souls we're here to save," Caspian looks above the crew to the sky, "Think of Aslan. Think of Narnia."

He nods firmly, affirming his words to both the crew and himself. Lucy holds Gael tightly against her side in a hug, and Y/n's brow is set in determination as she watches Caspian descend the stairs.

"For Narnia!" One of the crewman shouts.

"For Narnia! For Narnia!"

Everyone raises their hands, weapons, and voices together, showing each other that we're in this together. Lucy shouts spiritedly, and even Eustace roars from above in harmony with the hearty cries of the crew. Y/n joins in, and Caspian and I exchange a look of sad bravery, knowing this will likely be the most difficult thing we ever have to face.

The Dawn Treader glides the darkness, surrounded by a thick fog. The sinister whispers of the green mist travel through the air around us. The mist itself slithers over the deck and around the crew, putting us all in a state of eery discomfort. Some men appear to be seeing loved ones or images of nightmares. Gael's father whispers his wife's name and smiles as mist envelops him briefly and then floats away. His smile falls quickly.

I feel a cold pit form in my stomach. Lucy and Gael are below deck, but Y/n, Caspian, and I have remained on deck. I look up at Caspian on the quarterdeck and see him turning and looking over his shoulders panicked. He calms down after a moment, but his face shows guilt and remorse.

"Edmund," one of the whispers morphs into her voice as it speaks to me, "Edmund, come with me."

I slowly turn my head to the mist approaching me, afraid to make eye contact with whom I know will shortly be before me. The White Witch's face floats toward me, a sickening smile pulled across her face

"Be my king," she coos, "I'll let you rule."

"Go away," I tell her firmly, "you're dead."

She moves closer to my face so that I am almost breathing in the mist.

"You can never kill me," she moves around me and I turn with her, careful to not let her from my sight, "I'll always be alive...in your mind, silly boy."

"No!" I shout as the ghost of Jadis darts away.

"Edmund?"

Y/n's voice pulls me away from the mist, and I turn to see her concerned face looking at me. I notice a few crew members are looking at me.