Chapter 28

Your POV

"COME ON!"

Edmund's deep voice rings through the air, taunting the snake-like creature in front of him. The beast lunges forward, and Edmund disappears completely in its mouth.

"No-" I choke out.

I can't see him. I can't see Edmund anymore.

Electricity radiates from the sea serpent. Bolts of energy fly around us, sending colorful shocks of blue, yellow, and white through the air. The serpent pulls back, and I see Edmund standing on his perch with his glowing weapon. I breathe out aggressively and hold my chest, still not entirely sure if he's alright.

A deafening roar comes from above as the sea serpent falls back into the water, still radiating bolts of lightning. Its ominous glow sinks further into the waters as it falls, and it turns to green mist.

The sky begins to clear almost immediately, and a ray of sun finds its way to the Dawn Treader. I look at Lucy, and she looks back at me. We both have bewildered smiles on our faces, likely from the shock of everything that just happened.

"The spell," Lucy says with joy, "it's lifting!"

The darkness of the place literally melts away into a gray mist, dissolving and floating away. The sky fades form dark gray to light blue slowly, and the thickness of the air falls.

"Edmund!" Lucy shouts to her older brother, urging him to look, "Caspian! Look! Over there!"

I shift my gaze to see him descending the rope ladder, and Edmund locks eyes with me for a moment before looking out over the water. I look where his eyes look, and I see the faintest outline of small rowboats.

"Oh my-" I begin, but I'm interrupted by a tight hug from Lucy.

The small rowboats emerge from what's remaining of the thick fog, and all of those who were sacrificed to the mist appear.

"Narnians! Narnians!"

The crew cries out and claps and cheers triumphantly at the sight. Edmund descends the ladder, and I run and jump into his arms. He wraps his armor clad arms tightly around me, and his wet face and hair cling to my neck as he holds me. Ed puts me down and I press my palms to his cheeks.

"I told you I knew what I was doing," he says with a cheeky smile.

"Yes, you did," I smile up at him before kissing him lightly.

Gael and her father shove their way to the front, desperately searching for her mother. Lucy looks to Gael eagerly and nervously, standing by her. I watch Gael's sweet face search the boats with concern, and I silently pray that she's there.

"Mummy!" The girl shouts suddenly, and her father behind her jumps at the sound.

"Helaine!" He tells as his daughter jumps into the water to swim to her mom. He follows her.

We all watch as the family is reunited, and Edmund wraps one arm around me and the other around his little sister. He holds us tightly to him, and I rest my head on his shoulder. Caspian comes and stands next to me, and I bring him into the hug with my free arm as well. We all stand together and watch as the moment we've fought for the last few weeks comes to fruition.

"Let's have them on board!" Caspian commands the crew, "Clear the decks!"

"We did it!" Lucy says calmly, lookin across us, "I knew we would."

I smile and chuckle at her comment, but Edmund has a look of happy confusion on his face.

"It wasn't just us, though," he looks at us, his eyebrows raised in disbelief.

I start laughing once I realize what he's getting at.

"You mean-" Caspian begins, but he's quickly cut off by an all too familiar voice.

"Hey! I'm down here! Lucy!" We move to the side of the Dawn Treader and peer over into the water, seeing Eustace himself treading water.

"Eustace!" I say with a laugh as he waves at us.

"Over here! Lucy!"

"Oh my! You're back!" Lucy says happily, and even Edmund rolls his eyes with a smile.

"I'm a boy again!" The cousin declares joyfully, "I'm a boy!"

I look at Edmund and see his face flooded with relief at his cousin's reappearance as a human. I raise my eyebrows at him, silently teasing him about his excitement at seeing his cousin. Ed laughs and pulls me against his chest, wrapping his arms around my shoulder from behind.

"Eustace!" Reepicheep exclaims, joining us, "I see your wings have been clipped!"

He lets out a high pitched laugh as he jumps into the start to join the boy. Reep begins to sing a song I don't recognize, but Lucy cheers up immediately upon hearing it.

"Where sky and water meet! Where the waves grow ever sweet...it-it is sweet! It's sweet! Ha!" The mouse exclaims exuberantly.

"Does that mean..." Lucy trails off.

"I think it does," Caspian says, beaming as he point off into the distance.

The ocean is covered in lily's, and off in the distance I see land.

"Is that-Aslan's country?" I ask.

"We must be close," Caspian says, and Lucy grins and grabs my shoulder.

"Well, we've come this far," Edmund says, his chin on my shoulder.

I turn my face to look at Ed, and as our eyes meet, I realize what's about to happen: we're going to Aslan's country.