Chapter 23

Hours later, I wake up to the sound of people boarding the Dawn Treader on the deck above us. I nudge Edmund awake.

"Huh?" Edmund groans and sits up, rubbing his face as he wakes up.

"I think Caspian and Lucy are back," I say quietly, scratching his back as he sits up next to me, "it's actually morning now."

Edmund shoots me a confused, sleepy glare as he looks at me next to him, and I laugh quietly. I sit up next to him and rest my chin on his shoulder, enjoying the peaceful moment as we both wake up. The ship begins to move, and I hear muffled shouts of crewman giving commands to set sail.

Knock knock knock!

"Y/n! Ed!" Lucy calls through the door, "The blue star appeared!"

I look up at Edmund excitedly, and he gives me a small smile.

"That's great, Lu!" Edmund says to his sister, "We'll be on deck in a moment!"

"Okay!" Lucy says cheerily before walking away.

Edmund throws his legs over the side of the bed and pulls on his trousers. I sit cross-legged with the sheets held against my chest, and I chew my lip as I ponder Lucy's words.

"You know what this means?" I look at Edmund seriously.

"What what means?" Edmund turns his head slightly towards me, still fiddling with his belt in the dark.

"The star," I continue, "if it's appeared, that means we're headed straight for the source of the mist, which means..."

I trail off.

"Which means the hardest part of the journey lies before us," Edmund finishes with a grave tone.

"Exactly," I say numbly, "Edmund, promise me something?"

"Depends on the promise," Edmund jokes before seeing the seriousness on my face, "what is it, love?"

I take his hands and mine and hold them together against the sheets over the chest.

"Promise me that you will not try any sacrificial hero endeavors for me, Lucy, Caspian, or anyone," I look firmly into his dark brown eyes, "don't try to prove anything. You're a much better hero to me and your family alive, ok?"

Edmund pulls one hand from my grasp and cups my cheek with it, turning my head down so he can kiss my forehead.

"I promise," Edmund whispers against me, "can you promise me something?"

I nod.

"Promise me you will trust me," he says.

"Of course I trust you," I tell him.

"No," Edmund insists, "trust that I know what I need to do and when to do it, and please, please understand me when I tell you that I will put my family's safety above my own. That includes you, and if I need to keep you safe I will, but I know that you can handle yourself perfectly well, too. Ok?"

I understand what he means; I feel the same way about him. We're both strong, and we're both good fighters, but we also would both do anything for the other one. In this moment, Edmund is asking me to remember that even though he trusts me to protect myself, he still feels a duty to protect me and that could overcome him if he sees me helpless.

I press our noses together and kiss his lips lightly.

"I promise to trust you Edmund," I say.

"Good," he smiles and kisses me one more time, "let's get up on deck shall we?"