Thirty-Five

The rain was heavy around me, the sound of the rushing water almost deafening. Though, if I listened closely enough, I could make out the sounds of Miles' pained moans. 

He lay at my feet, unmoving. His blood mixed with the puddles of rain that gathered in the potholes of the campus parking lot, but I didn't care. I stood above him patiently, unbothered by him and the overhead storm, and waited for the Calaveras to make their grand entrance. It hadn't been long since Braeden reached out to them, so they were due to show up any minute now. 

We had to wait for the grounds of the high school to be clear, not wanting to risk any crossfire. There was no telling how the Calaveras would react to one of their men bound, bloodied, and in my possession. 

Stilinski sent a few deputies to gather the assassins we dealt with, and help evacuate everyone. He wasn't entirely aware of what occurred and why Miles wasn't being taken in, but I figured the less he knew, the better. Braeden's old position as a U.S. Marshal also helped to make things easy to sell, as none of the deputies flinched when she flashed her badge.

They even gave her one of their squad cars when she requested it, assuming it was for her to transfer Miles somewhere. In all actuality, Derek had been her ride here, but because he took his Cruiser to follow Scott home as he rode his dirt bike, she was basically stranded. The car helped to convince the deputies Miles would be taken care of, and it also allowed Braeden to offer Liam and Malia rides home. 

I glance over my shoulder, the aforementioned car parked behind me. 

Braeden had refused to leave until the Calaveras arrived, which meant Malia and Liam were still here, too. There was space inside of the car for me to wait with them, but I preferred the storm and Miles' vocal agony over Liam's remorseful stares. 

The passenger side door opens, and Malia steps out into the storm with me. 

She doesn't seem bothered by the rain, and makes her way to my side with a neutral expression. She's quiet for a while, and all I'm able to hear is Miles' ragged breaths and the splashing of water. 

"I can stay with you," she offers eventually, making me look at her. 

Malia was never the type to display emotions. Her affection almost always came through her actions. I understood this was her way of telling me she forgave me for our lies. I was grateful for that, but as touching as her offer was, it wasn't one I could accept.

"This is something I have to do alone," I reply honestly.

Malia meets my eyes, nodding softly. 

"Braeden will take you home," I say dismissively. "You can trust her."

Malia nods again, though, this one is a bit hesitant. She didn't know Braeden as she knew us, but I wanted her to see that she could find an ally within the mercenary. The day may come when she would have to rely on her, and I didn't want Malia to feel distrustful. Braeden had always had my back, and I knew she would have that of my friends, too. 

I wanted to say more, but Malia's gaze suddenly breaks from mine. She tilts her head, studying something beyond us. 

"They're coming," she says warningly. "I can hear their trucks around the block."

I gesture towards the squad car and Malia doesn't argue as she returns to it. I follow her, leaving Miles by himself, as it's not like he's going anywhere anyway.

Braeden rolls down the window on the driver's side on my approach, allowing some water to trickle inside. Liam's in the back behind the metal partition, and his eyes try to seek mine through the gaps. I refrain from looking at him and focus solely on Braeden. She reaches into her waistband and pulls out a concealed micro pistol, offering it to me. It's not anyone's first choice for a gun in our line of work, but still useful in desperate situations.