Forty-Six

Peter's ambition for power had taken him to some pretty dark places over the years. Teaming up with Kate to turn Scott into a Berserker and almost killing Kira was an entirely new low, though. This time, we couldn't allow him to walk away. 

Malia happily dragged her father out of the La Iglesia tunnels and threw him into the prison transport van. Chris injected Peter with a small dosage of yellow wolfsbane he had to spare, using it to subdue his shift until we could reach Beacon Hills. Our capture of the eldest Hale wouldn't lead to a trial by any means, a case like this would be utter nonsense to the public, but Eichen House would be willing to open their doors to a patient like him in their lower levels.

There's enough yellow wolfsbane to keep Peter out for the trip back, but be careful," Chris says warningly. He stands between us and the Calaveras, all of them gathered at his back as they patiently wait for him to join their ranks. 

"You're really going with them?" Scott asks Chris, warily eyeing the hunters over his shoulder. 

Chris nods. "I made a deal with Calaveras weeks ago. They'll leave you alone, all of you, but only if I help them catch Kate."

The Calaveras had proven that they had respect for us, but that didn't take away from the fact that they also had respect for their code. Chris' deal would ensure a bit of leeway in our direction if the time ever did come when one of the supernaturals around me broke what they held sacred. 

"What if you can't?" Scott replies.

"I'll find her. Someone has to," Chris swears.

Movement behind him draws my attention. Araya took a step forward to separate herself from the crowd of her men. She moves to be beside Chris, her eyes trained on me.

"There's always room for one more," she offers. 

I'm sure my shock is obvious on my face from the flash of amusement she displays. My eyes pass her to see the reaction of her men, all of them nodding in agreement as they now saw me as an ally.

I picture for a moment what life would be like with them.

I wouldn't have to question my morals at their side. They were already aware of the required ambiguity of conscience hunters had to have. It would be easy being with them and it would be what I'd spent most of my life waiting for: a place amongst hunters. 

That's why I originally pledged myself to the Argents. I was desperate to find a home and family, wanting to replace the one that I lost. But those were the actions of a naive child. I knew better now. I had better now. 

I glance at the pack; my pack. 

They aren't perfect by any means, nor are they anything like what I thought my family would look like as a child, but they were family nonetheless. I didn't need to pretend to be someone else with them. I could simply exist as the person I was, and strive to become who I wished I could be. 

"If you need help tracking down Kate, give me a call. I don't wanna miss out on all the action," I say to Araya, earning a chuckle from her and her men. "But I know who I am and I know my place. It's with my friends."

My eyes drift to the pack again, finding them all smiling. They admittedly looked relieved at my words, probably wondering if I would be tempted to accept Araya's offer. 

Araya isn't offended by my refusal. In fact, she almost looks proud, as if I've passed another one of her mysterious tests. 

"Then, until we see each other again..." she trails, reaching into the sleeve of her coat. 

She brings out a curved karambit blade. It's a decent piece of weaponry, but what makes it truly beautiful is its handle. The hilt is sculpted out of bone, and at the middle of it, rests a carving of a skull. I admire the piece and intend to compliment her on it, but her next action leaves me completely speechless.