Thirty-Five

Melissa didn't arrive until the sun rose over Beacon Hills. She had been working the night shift at the hospital and couldn't get out of it earlier. It had been frustrating, as it meant Hayden had to lay in suffering for hours, but now that she was finally here, I couldn't lie and say I wasn't relieved. Scott seemed to be more at peace. He didn't watch Liam and I with a blank scowl anymore, only settled for keeping to himself. I hated his silence, but it was better than his anger.

"Is any of this actually going to help her?" Liam asks as we watch Melissa work. He and I stand at Hayden's tableside, while Theo and Scott observe from the waiting room doorway.

"In theory," Melissa replies cryptically as she hangs heavy IV bags from the hooks of their metal stand. They were filled with a clear solution that would inevitably find its way into Hayden's veins through a slight needle.

Melissa peers up from the extension tubing she preps, finding all of us wearing confused expressions.

With a sigh, she explains.

"It's called chelation therapy. It removes heavy metals from the blood."

Liam nods slowly as he thinks to himself.

"Mister Yukimura taught us about that. He said it was used in World War Two on soldiers who had lead poisoning," he says, making me smile subtly. He always had a brightness in his eyes when he spoke of History.

"Well, it also works against mercury. Our only problem is that it can injure the kidneys, and Hayden already only has one to begin with," Melissa continues.

Hayden winces at the mention of her failed organ. Her sweat-covered face contorted with anguish, and I feel useless just standing here to watch, so I put my hand over hers to make her focus on me rather than her own unease.

"If you survive this, I'll give you one of mine," I offer, entirely serious despite my coy grin.

Hayden smiles through her suffering, letting out a breathy chuckle.

"You got a deal," she agrees playfully.

Her moment of bliss ends when Melissa steps forward. Hayden shrinks away from the IV catheter in her hand, her aversion to needles being revealed. None of us could judge her for it, as she hasn't had the best of luck with them in the past twenty-four hours.

"How long do we have to do this for?" she asks the woman above her.

Melissa sends a pitied frown her way, her silence enough of an answer.

"Get comfortable. Got it," Hayden mutters spitefully.

She closes her eyes and grips my hands as Melissa stands on the other side of the table. She uses a clean cotton pad to wipe the surface of Hayden's hand to prep the area for insertion. When the metal pricks her skin, Hayden sucks in air through her teeth and clenches at my fingers. She doesn't struggle though, which helps make it pass quicker.

Melissa rubs her hand comfortingly when she's done.

"Good job," she praises before stepping away, moving to shift the slide clamp on the IV tube. The contents of the bag travel through it, making their way into Hayden. My breath becomes shallow as I wait for her to have any reactions, but she doesn't. She only gives me a slight nod to assure me she's okay.

"You all need to rest, too." Melissa studies the boys and I, her dark eyes showing concern. "I'm exhausted just looking at you."

My gaze ventures over my shoulder to survey Scott.

There are dark bags under his eyes that not even his enhanced healing can hide. His posture is caved in, too, and I hate how deflated he appears. When he catches me staring, he swiftly returns to the waiting room, not a single word spared. Theo notices and offers a sympathetic wince my way.

Alone • Liam DunbarOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara