Chapter 2 "The Shift in Our Constellations"

Matthias was quick to set up my tent, it seems this wasn’t his first time doing it. My thoughts were confirmed when Matthias proudly announced that he’s more of an outdoor person than Yohan (the man I saw here). Yohan is a doctor, who’d rather stay indoors watching Netflix and sleep in than out. To get him out of his house, Matthias practically dragged him out to camp here.

    “He can’t survive out here without me,” he claimed, laughing. Then, he playfully nudged my knee with his. “Hey, we didn’t get your name.”

    I’d rather tell Yohan my name than him but fine, since he’d know anyway.

    “Ember.” I glance at Yohan to see a reaction but he remained looking down at his radio.

    “Like embers on fire. That’s a beautiful name.”

    I didn’t comment on it as Yohan didn’t either.

    Every once in a while, they’d check to see how I’m doing, or rather it’s Matthias who does, while Yohan just silently tags along. We went on with our personally planned activities until the night of the said Eclipse.

    No wonder there’s so many people here.

    This is indeed a rare opportunity for a country with recent monsoons.

    “Compared to everyone else we have the greatest viewpoint from here,” Matthias boasted as he laid out a blanket big enough for the three of us.

    “I didn’t know there’d be an eclipse,” I confessed.

    “That’s how I managed to convince Yohan. He likes the moon, stars and shit.”

    Yohan didn’t react.

    While we were waiting, Matthias went on and on about his project in Dubai, which I didn’t understand because he keeps using terms I don’t know.

    My mind began to wonder about home, my sister and nephew, and my parents. I wondered how they’d all been doing while I was away. I know we’re under the same sky, and living the same day and night but I feel like I’m too far away from them. Since then, when I failed my board exam, I felt the distance between us like a chasm that keeps us apart. I knew since then that I will never reach them no matter how hard I try.

    If only we could meet again, where they don’t have to look at me as a failure. I wish we could meet as the moon and sun, where we mark the end of bitter judgments and start new beginnings.

    “Anong oras nga magsisimula, Yohan?”

    “6:59 PM.”

    This time, Matthias turned to face me. His face in its usual smiling expression.

    “November’s going to be a great month. There’ll be a lot of astrological events that Yohan is expecting to see. He filed in a leave for this.”

    I only smiled. I doubt that this is going to be a great month. I may have survived the first week of November but I’m positively certain it won’t be smooth sailing from here. Though I must admit, it’s going to be good enough of a distraction.

    “What else do you want to see, Yohan?”

    Yohan’s eyes fell on me before turning to look at Matthias who’s frowning, upset that I deliberately ignored him and his attempt of a conversation.

    “Meteor shower on November 17,” he replied, ignoring Matthias glares.

    “You’ll be on duty by then,” Matthias declared.