Final Chapter: "So, here we are"

It wasn’t an easy path. Progress was in fact not linear, it’s an up and down of trials and success at your feet. There was a lot of crying involved, lots of heartache and disappointments along the way.

    It took me months to get my spirits back, to gather enough courage to face my Dad and ask him to help me find a good review center. I thought he was going to tell me off or make snide comments like ‘Finally, you got back to your senses’, but he didn’t. He only got his keys and brought me to a review center.

    That’s when I realized my father never stopped caring. He saved money to get me into this review center since I failed the board exam. I realized he didn’t really abandoned me, like me, he didn’t know how to face me.

    The tears I tried so hard to keep at bay bursts when my father told me, “I’ve always been proud of you, Ember. I’m sorry I’ve made you feel that everything you’ve done wasn’t enough.”

    And the hug that came afterwards felt like a wave of relief washing over me. The sensation had me shivering, my heart howling with sadness. Love.

    The latter was something I thought I didn’t deserve. For a while, I thought I wasn’t worthy of anything. Not until someone made me realize otherwise.

    I haven’t seen that person for almost a year, until now.

    “Miss Masungit, you’re here!” Matthias greeted with his arms wide open. If he’s expecting me to give him a hug he’s mistaken.

    My eyes glanced at the person standing next to him. “What a coincidence to see the both of you here.”

    “We’re here to donate blood. Are you here as a volunteer?” Matthias replied. Yohan stayed quiet though his eyes were speaking volumes.

    “Yeah,” I replied.

    Matthias took a quick glance at Yohan, finally realizing my eyes were on him.

    “Right,” he chuckled. “Anyway, how’s the review going? Yohan told me you’re preparing for an exam.”

    Yohan talks about me. This thought had me smiling.

    “The board exam’s in two months so aside from studying I wanted to keep myself busy so here I am.”

    “That’s great. Good for you,” Matthias said, then he pat Yohan on the back. “Anyway, I’m coming up next. It’s nice to see you again, Miss Masungit.”

    I rolled my eyes playfully. “I have a name.”

    “And I have feelings, too.” Matthias put a hand over his chest feigning hurt.

    When Matthias left us alone, Yohan and I stared at each other for a good few seconds before he finally spoke.

    “I’m glad you’re doing well,” he said.

    “All thanks to you.”

    Yohan shakes his head. “No, it’s all thanks to you. Not me.”

    Maybe that’s true.

    Though it did took me a while before I could gather enough courage to actually do it.

    Yohan was next in line so I took his blood pressure before proceeding. When I saw it was elevated I told him to rest up a bit and asked if he’s had a history of hypertension. I heard Matthias yelling from across the room saying his health doesn’t have anything to do with with his blood pressure.

    “His heart’s pumping faster than normal because you’re here,” he shouted, which earned a few giggles from everyone who heard.

    I bit my lower lip before facing Yohan with a smile. “Is that true, Yohan?”