𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

AMARA
"YOU'RE FRUSTRATED." I noted about Niccolo. "No I'm fine." There it was. A lie. He so carelessly lies about things that could be eased with a simple explanation.

I wasn't pleased with Niccolo keeping things from me. I'm always the last to know everything. This wasn't a fair game. I sat on the arm of the couch waiting for the maids to clear out to the other wing of the house. "Can you be honest with me?" I begin not knowing where this conversation could take us. Niccolo sat on the couch nonchalantly bouncing Damiano on his leg.

"We clearly have something we need to discuss and I just feel like there's a elephant in the room." I fiddled with my fingers looking for a reaction. He was surely drained of all emotion right now. I sat there waiting for a reaction.

"Let's get out the house. I need... some air." He finally let out.

I strolled along with Niccolo. He had a somber look to him, this was different. He was not okay. He hadn't been okay at all after that night with the box. His father and work seemed to be putting some type of pressure on him. He held Damien as we continued walking in silence. "I've been lying to you."

Our walking halted. I looked at the men lingering around watching us for our protection then back to Niccolo. "Lying? About what?"

"I'll be honest I lied about being okay I'm not okay, work....I try not to tell you these things to keep you protected from the horrors of it all. I cannot sleep at night sometimes. Believe me Amara it's for you and Damiens safety. If I didn't love you I wouldn't be telling you this...There's something I found out about your friend."

"James? Is he hurt?" His eyes rested on me shaking his head. "He's fine." He motioned for one of the guards to bring the stroller to put Damiano down in it. "The lady—Miss Cecila is dead." My heart sunk. I touched my chest to control my breathing. Niccolo strapped Damiano in.

He held his arms out for me to take and I did so crying. "What happened to her?" I rested my head on his chest. I never got to say goodbye. His hands roamed my back as I stood there hopeless. "Doesn't matter," he kissed the side of my head making me back away. "What happened to her?" I questioned further. His hands went into his pants.

"You don't want to know."

"Yes I do." My eyes wondered until it finally hit me. Was she killed as a threat? The box. "Oh god." My knees buckled at the revelation Niccolo grabbed me holding me up.

••••

"Dio protegga me e la mia famiglia," the words brung me out my sleep. I pulled the cover down a bit seeing Niccolo sitting on the end of the bed praying. His back turned from me. He spent the afternoon with me. I appreciated him in ways I could barely voice. I cried myself to sleep. "Guarisci il cuore spezzato di Amara." He continued whispering. [God protect me and my family] [heal Amara's broken heart]

I tear fell down my face. I made my presence known by crawling over to him. He pulled my body down onto his lap. "Lenire il suo dolore in modi che io non posso, vegliare su di lei e Damiano. Amen." He finished. [soothe her pain in ways I cannot, watch over her and Damiano. Amen]

"Thank you." I rubbed his arm. His eyes glided over me.

His hand brushed my wet cheek smearing away the tear. "What time is it?" I asked looking at the balcony window spotting a hint of light peaking through the curtains. "Four."

I selfishly wanted him to stay here with me. "So early." I muttered. "Work calls bambina," he looked at his watch then back to me smiling.