Chapter 6: the proof

3rd person POV:
Everyone was setting things up. Putting cameras around the house. Bells on door nobs,
"What's wrong with your Chevy?" Ed asked Roger.
"Ah, what's not wrong with her?" Roger replied.
"Needs a new carburetor to start."
"Oh, yeah?" Ed said
"Kind of put fixing her up in hold for awhile." Roger said
"Yeah." Ed said, setting down a camera and angling it towards the tree.
"Hey, brad, hand me a thermostat, would ya?" Ed asked brad
Brad went over to a case and picked up the blocky thermometer.
"What's this, uh, do?" Roger asked
"Well, there's and instant drop in temperature, the thermostat triggers the camera to take a picture." Ed said
"You've actually caught things in film?" Roger asked.
"Well, yeah. That's uh, the point." Ed responded.
"Why, uh...why out here?" Roger asked. Again.
"Well, this is where the witch committed suicide. She hung herself from that branch right above where you're standing." Ed said
Rogers lips puckered up and he moved from his spot quickly.

"How could a mother kill her own child?" Carolyn asked
"It was never a child to her. She just used her god given gift as the ultimate offense against him. Witches believe it elevates their status in the eyes of satan." Lorraine explained.
Carolyn shook her head and rolled her eyes.
As she was about her family photo back up, Lorraine stopped her and looked at the picture.

Flash back.

Maxine and her sisters were all laughing and running on the beach.

"Mm.." Lorraine smiled.
"Wow." She laughed
"That's a nice day at the beach, huh?" Lorraine said to Carolyn
"How did you know?" Carolyn smiled
"It's an insight. It's like a peak through the curtains into another persons life." Lorraine smiled
"That day meant so much to me." Carolyn smiled down at the picture of her family.
"We were driving along the coast. Maxine pointed out how pretty the view was. I thought Its a perfect opportunity for a photo. We're gonna start fresh, you know? A new house, a new beginning. You should have seen roger and the girls. I've never seen them so happy.
All: cheese!
"They mean the world to me." Carolyn sighed and put the photo back on the mantle.

"Put your hand flat on the desk. Yeah, and take it off...here we go. See?" Drew smiled.
"It just reveals to us what the naked eye cant see. Pretty far out, isn't it?"
"Yeah, it's groovy." Andrea said.
They exchanged smiles.
Ed walked over to drew and Andrea flirting. He rolled his eyes and walked up to drew.

Maxine's POV:
Me and my sisters waited in the living room as people sat things up. I'm scared. We're all scared.
My thoughts got interrupted by a bell ringing and the bathroom door slowly opening.
I cant help but think that this was all my fault. I was the one who pushed Nancy into the door opening that hole. Of course I wasn't going to admit to Nancy I was wrong. Only a psycho would do that.
Just as I was about to go and sit by April, brad comes out of the bathroom. I rolled my eyes and plopped down by Nancy.
"It's okay, Max. Nothings gonna hurt us. I promise." Nancy said.
I shrugged and hugged her.

Me and my sisters all laid in a group of beds. I was by the wall, April was in-front of me, And Cindy was above me.
"What's in the bottle?" My dad said. I raised my head up to see what he was talking about.
"Holy water." Ed said. I laid my head back down. "Presence of religious icons. It will get a reaction from anything unholy. Sort of pisses them off." Ed said, putting a cross on a shelf.
"So I set these through-out the house,see if I can stir things up a bit." Ed said
"Like holding a cross to a vampire?" Roger asked.
"Yeah. Exactly. Except I don't believe in vampires." Ed said. A bell jingled.
Everyone was asleep except me and Andrea.
"Wasn't me." I heard from the kitchen. I softly laughed then closed my eyes, listening for other noises.
A heard a door creaking open a shutter. I closed my eyes tighter, hoping I would fall asleep that instant. But I didn't. It's hard to fall asleep with you're scared.
"Brad get the camera." A faint voice whispered
Then they were off to the basement. I settled down as I realized Andrea was still up. So it helped me fall asleep faster.

I woke up by the sound of creaking stairs.
"Watch out!" I heard Ed yell then a door slammed. I jumped up. No one else was waking up. Deep sleepers am i right?
"Mom? Dad?" I yelled
"Not right now, sweetie!" My mom yelled
I whimpered then laid my head back down.

My dad was flipping pancakes for us as me and my sisters were talking.
"For you." April smiled handing a pancake plate up to Ed. He didn't smile. He just took the plate. Damn.
"I think I might take some girls for ice cream later on." My dad said
"Yes!" I said
"Yeah!" Nancy smiled
"Honey, you wanna come?" My dad asked my mom
"No, I'm— I'm exhausted. I'm just gonna take a nap." My mom said
"That's probably a good idea. Why don't you get some rest." Ed said. "Lorraine and I'll watch over things for a bit."
"Really?" My mom asked
"Alright, I'm gonna take off. I have a shift starting  in an hour." Brad said.
I smiled up at him as I took a bite of my pancakes.
"Bye." I said
"Bye." He said back.

A/N:
Okay this is the last chapter for tonight! I definitely am going to be updating tomorrow. Probably around 3-4 pm because my school gets out at 2:30. Maybe I will in the morning. Like 5-6 am but I most likely will not be doing that. Have a good rest of your night/day!

Edit: okay I lied I had soccer practice but I will update when I get home.